Olde English export ale

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Bazz
Piss Artist

Olde English export ale

Post by Bazz » Mon May 16, 2016 12:12 pm

Got this on the go at the moment, it's based on an original IPA recipe from Mitch Steeles excellent book.

Grain bill

100% Crisps pale malt (7.5kg)

Hops

100g EKG @ 75mins

50g EKG @ 30 mins

50g EKG @ Flame out

100g EKG dry hop after 2 weeks primary for 1 week.

When i dry hop i will also be adding a bag full of sherry cask oak chips from the Malt Miller

Yeast WLP007
O.G. 1.070
IBU 79

The plan is to bottle all of this and leave it to mature for at least 3 months, though i dare say at least one wil be opened so i have something to make a comparison to in a few months.

Sorry no pics, as it seems beyond my wit to post them i haven't bothered this time.

nbpicklesno2

Re: Olde English export ale

Post by nbpicklesno2 » Mon May 16, 2016 1:12 pm

Just made one very similar this weekend at 1088 with a similar weight hop bill of only Fuggles. Opening mine at Christmas as it's an old ale using Thwaits yeast (Old Tom in the The Durden Park book. I parti gyled mine as I only have a twin 10 litre setup and use the other half of the brew for a traditional bitter.

Can't imagine what it'll taste like. Beer I suppose.

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Mon May 16, 2016 1:52 pm

I hope to have a few left for Christmas, but i guess that depends on how it tastes at 3 months.

I am finding that 200g of wet EKG certainly slows down the draining of the kettle.

nbpicklesno2

Post by nbpicklesno2 » Mon May 16, 2016 2:16 pm

I found that the copper drained ok but I ensured that the sparge was very slow just in case I dragged in the grain bed. I suppose it depends on your filter systems. And I'm using a 10 litre system which may reduce the material per pot.

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Mon May 16, 2016 2:48 pm

As it turned out it was my fault it drained so slow, whilst jiggling the chiller up and down in the wort i must have knocked the bazooka causing it to detach from the tap. The flow stopped completely at 17 litres and i had to jug the remainder in filtering through a sieve, plenty of trub still got in unfortunately but i'm hoping it won't matter too much. Ended up with 21 litres at 1.070 exactly, not too bad overall and a lesson learnt about agitating cooling wort, and that i need a new thermometer.

nbpicklesno2

Post by nbpicklesno2 » Mon May 16, 2016 7:08 pm

Happens to the best of us. The trub wont make any difference. Hey,' it's an olde English ale. It's rustic. However it tastes, you can always convince yourself, that was how it was back then. At least that's what I intend to do.