Disaster Brewday

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
AdrianTrace
Piss Artist

Disaster Brewday

Post by AdrianTrace » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:43 pm

It all went wrong, really - the in-laws have requested a repeat of the No-Name Porter for their 40th wedding anniversary later in the year, so I thought I would get it going:

23Litres

Fermentables:
2.5kg Light DME
1kg 113EBC Caramalt
500g 250EBC Caramalt
500g Chocolate malt
50g Black Malt
Hops:
30g Admiral 12.35%AA 30 mins
40g Bramling Cross 7%AA 10 mins plus 1/3 Whirlfloc
30g Bramling Cross 7%AA 0 mins
Yeast S04

Heated water and put grains in to steep. Then realised I had it set up for pellets (no hop filter, as it just clogs) rather than leaf (metal braid).. oh well, nothing I can do so up to the boil:
Then the electrics trip :? reset the breaker: 5 minutes later they trip again... and again :x

so I chucked in the 10 minute hops with the cooler and gave it one more go: 2 minute and phut. Bunged in the flame out hops, cooled and drained about a litre before it completely blocked. Tipped the whole shebang into the FV, pitched and walked away (after cleaning). It'll be OK :)

What a balls up!
Ready to go: Malt extract, grain, yeast and a freezer full of hops.
Fermenting: Nowt.
Conditioning: Nelson's Revenge.
Drinking: Stop Wining, Firsty Gold, DarkMun, Yankee, Porter, ApAht, Cider, Mead, Tripel, Elderflower beer, Gluten Free, beer, wine, port, gin,beer, wine, port, gin...

AdrianTrace
Piss Artist

Re: Disaster Brewday

Post by AdrianTrace » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:45 pm

Took apart the old Lidl (Silverline) jam preserver - the element looks a bit shot on the inner connection. I guess permanent running is beyond their design:

Drinking: Stop Wining, Firsty Gold, DarkMun, Yankee, Porter, ApAht, Cider, Mead, Tripel, Elderflower beer, Gluten Free, beer, wine, port, gin,beer, wine, port, gin...

stokie_spaceman
Steady Drinker

Post by stokie_spaceman » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:36 am

I had 5 of these on the trot, 4 of which were warranty replacements. They are not up to the job and frankly if you pull them apart they're almost impossible to get back together with any confidence. I have a buffalo 40 l now, but even that required some remedial work due to loose spade connectors although it is much better than the jam makers and has probably done 50 all grain brews now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

AdrianTrace
Piss Artist

Post by AdrianTrace » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:45 pm

Yeah, having seen how they're made I think I was lucky to get 19 full boils out of it, plus various batches of hot water for cleaning.

I've converted mine to a standard Peco 2.4kw element now (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=76217). It has actually made it easier to use due to the power lead now being detachable, as well as more powerful so quicker to heat and better at holding a boil. It's still about 5 litres too small, though :D