Rhubarb Saison

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Clibit
Under the Table

Rhubarb Saison

Post by Clibit » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:20 pm

I've got this on the go. Doing a partial mash with a can of Young's Harvest Lager. Not decided how to add the rhubarb yet, I'm going to take a wine brewer's advice not to boil it, just pasteurise it, and I'll add it during fermentation I think, in two batches.

Rhubarb Saison
Batch Size (L): 18.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.039
Final Gravity (FG): 1.004
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.60 %
Colour (SRM): 5.1 (EBC): 10.0
Bitterness (IBU): 25
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 80
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

1.500 kg Harvest Lager kit (52.82%)
0.700 kg Lager Malt (24.65%)
0.300 kg Vienna (10.56%)
0.280 kg Wheat Malt, Dark (9.86%) (needed using up)
0.060 kg Caramalt (2.11%)

Kit bitterness approx 25 IBUs
30g First Gold Leaf (7.9% Alpha) @ FLAME OUT

900g Rhubarb @ Primary
900g Rhubarb @ Secondary

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Yeast: MJ French Saison M29

Some photos here...

http://www.homebrewinguk.com/post/rhuba ... 1292664176

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Rhubarb Saison

Post by MTW » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:45 pm

I loved the Thornbridge RS, spawned out of their homebrew comp. Really added a nice dimension to the saison. Interested how it goes!
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

DaveyT
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DaveyT » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:26 pm

I've had a lot of success with fruity saisons. Have you used fruit before?
I wait until primary fermentation's done (usually five days) then sling it all in. If you're using a lot of fruit, you may have to rack the saison into another, bigger, FV. I've had some hear-stopping experiences wondering whether it's all going to fit.
Other things I'd recommend is leaving it for a while (two weeks, at least) to make sure everything's fermented out. A major problem I had once was using pulp that then ended up at the bottom of the bottles as it was impossible to avoid. They all continued fermenting and turned nasty, not to mention dangerous when they exploded.
It's always worth it, though. I've got the mulberry tree coming into fruit in the next few weeks. Can't wait for that.

David
Evolution didn't end with us growing thumbs.
Bill Hicks

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:59 pm

Brilliant, thanks for the tips David. I've not used fruit before, the idea is to add after primary as you suggest. I'll update.

serum

Post by serum » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:36 am

DaveyT wrote:I've had a lot of success with fruity saisons. Have you used fruit before?
I wait until primary fermentation's done (usually five days) then sling it all in. If you're using a lot of fruit, you may have to rack the saison into another, bigger, FV. I've had some hear-stopping experiences wondering whether it's all going to fit.
Other things I'd recommend is leaving it for a while (two weeks, at least) to make sure everything's fermented out. A major problem I had once was using pulp that then ended up at the bottom of the bottles as it was impossible to avoid. They all continued fermenting and turned nasty, not to mention dangerous when they exploded.
It's always worth it, though. I've got the mulberry tree coming into fruit in the next few weeks. Can't wait for that.

David
What fruits have you used? Do you have recipes?

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:55 pm

If you are putting fruit in, do you pasteurise them?

Yes and heed the warning about pulping them - lots of bits in all your bottles; makes for nice gushers

DaveyT

Post by DaveyT » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:12 pm

serum wrote:
DaveyT wrote:I've had a lot of success with fruity saisons. Have you used fruit before?

David
What fruits have you used? Do you have recipes?
I've tried figs a few times. I have access to fresh figs, the white/green ones, though. I've also tried mango (I got some dried, natural stuff that I rehydrated then blended (wouldn't blend again, mind). I've also tried these things called nisperos in Spanish, I think they're called loquats in English or Japanese plumbs. And mulberries, too.

I always peel them then freeze them, and heat them once they're defrosted to kill any beasties. Not sure I need to heat them, though. I use a pound per gallon (about 100g per litre) when fresh, and half when it was dry (mango).

The recipe I use is simple to keep the fruit flavours at the forefront: 3% Crisp amber malt (50 EBC) and 6% oats. Hops are always minimal too; EKG or Saaz to flavour, and not too much (15g for 14 litre). I did a black saison with the mulberries (10g roast barley) but I doubt I will again. There's a local brewery here (Gran Canaria) who've done a cactus fruit IPA. It's a purple IPA, basically; there are too many flavours going on to taste the fruit. Pointless, really.

The nisperos lost their flavour really quickly so I ended up with normal saisons after a few months. The figs lasted until the beer did.

Hope that helps. I make 14 litres then split the batch three ways. That way, you get to make three different brews off one boil and if they get infected or taste crap, you've got two others to drink.

David
Bill Hicks

serum

Post by serum » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:18 pm

I'd love to try the fig one. There's a beer called darbyste which uses wheat and fig juice and it's lovely. I think it would just be 50 50 wheat and pilsner.

I got this date extract and was thinking of trying it instead of fig to see what happens or I could split the brew to demijohns and mess around with different stuff.

I'll try to get a pound of figs as they do them at a local Turkish grocer. Do you peel the figs or just cut them up?

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:45 pm

DaveyT

Post by DaveyT » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:53 pm

serum wrote:I'd love to try the fig one. There's a beer called darbyste which uses wheat and fig juice and it's lovely. I think it would just be 50 50 wheat and pilsner.

I got this date extract and was thinking of trying it instead of fig to see what happens or I could split the brew to demijohns and mess around with different stuff.

I'll try to get a pound of figs as they do them at a local Turkish grocer. Do you peel the figs or just cut them up?
The fig beer tastes like the smell of fig trees, it's nice and refreshing. I scoop out the insides of the fresh figs. I wouldn't bother if they were dried. I've always liked the idea of making a compote of dried fruit and keeping for a week before sticking it into a brew. Maybe for Christmas.

Date syrup would be awesome. Splitting a batch would be good: maybe three ways with honey, date syrup and fig juice. I've experimented with turbo cider before too. Just chuck 5l in a water bottle then the fruit a week later.
Bill Hicks

serum

Post by serum » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:10 pm

Excellent, thanks. I saw a good guide to make fig syrup from dried figs so might try that too to see how fresh and dried figs compare in a brew, along with the date syrup.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:48 pm

I added the rhubarb today with gravity at 1008. Heated 2kg til it was very soft, then separated the juice from the pulp through a strainer, approx 1.5 litres of juice into the FV. The M29 wasn't as similar to Belle Saison as some suggest. More fruity, more Belgian smelling if that makes sense, less spicy I think. A small taste after adding the juice was pretty tart, but promising. Pictures here...

http://www.homebrewinguk.com/post/rhuba ... 1292732630

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:01 pm

Bottled this on Saturday. One lesson I've learned is to be more rigorous with straining the rhubarb next time. Finished at 1.006, about 85% attenuation from the M29 French Saison yeast, giving me about 4.8% ABV pre-priming. Bottled about 16.5 litres, mostly in 330ml bottles and some 275 ml San Miguel bottles, as well as ten 500ml bottles.

Tasting pretty intense. It won't be for those with a sweet tooth. I'm very hopeful I'm going to like it though, it's dry and tart, but fruity and Belgian, and a definite rhubarb flavour coming through.

Contrary to some things I had read, M29 is pretty different from the Belle Saison yeast, which is less fruity and more peppery, and attenuates more.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:04 pm

Only 5 days since bottling but enjoying it already! :shock:

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk