Youngers 1940 P Bottling (on steroids)

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Youngers 1940 P Bottling (on steroids)

Post by Fuggled Mind » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:36 am

It's a rare day off and I thought I'd brew something. There's a new sack of pale in the house and I figured that a summer ale/pale ale would be the way to go.

Last Wednesday, Ron posted the following recipe on ShutupaboutBarclayPerkins.

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.ch/2016/ ... lliam.html

a 100% pale ale malt beer with a gravity of 1.028. I won't lie, I thought it would have been a pretty horrid beer or one that would have made you ask 'Why bother'? I mean at 2.28%, you could probably give it your kids (well, perhaps not but you probably see the point I'm trying to make). But what if I upped the gravity and IBUs to 1.044 and 22 respectively? So that's the plan

Recipe for 19L
O.G. 1.044
IBU - should be 22 - my calculations after using beersmith's hop age tool say 23.5 - it'll do.

Grist
4.51kg Pale malt (Bestmälz - first time using this. I normally use Weyermann and have generally good efficiency)
Hops
Fuggle (leaf hops & some pellets to make up the difference) @ 90 mins First wort hopped (14.5 IBUs)
Fuggle (pellets) @ 30 mins (9 IBU)
Yeast
Windsor yeast (I guess this will be more malty than bitter so this'll help - the original beer had very low attentuation - probably to retain some body)

I used Graham Wheeler's sweet pale ale water profile for the water. It produces well balanced pale ales in my view.

Mashed @ 68°C for 90 mins
Boiled for 90 mins with Irish moss added in the final 10.

So what will this be like? I'm guessing a bit sweet, very malty, relatively easy drinking. I could be wrong of course. There's a reason I'm only a homebrewer. Will try and update with pics as I go along

Cheers

Jason
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

Good Ed
Steady Drinker

Re: Youngers 1940 P Bottling (on steroids)

Post by Good Ed » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:05 am

No reason why it should be sweet or overly malty, I'd say you will have a good beer. Windsor can be a bit of a bugger to finish depending on how you are packaging. Also it would be nice to have some feedback on the Bestmaltz.

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Re: Youngers 1940 P Bottling (on steroids)

Post by Fuggled Mind » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:43 pm

Was a productive brewday - if not a little hot. Spent way too long sparging but got very good efficiency from it. How Bestmälz pale turns out won't be too apparent until the beer is bottled but it seems lighter than Weyermann pale ale malt which is what I nearly always brew with.

I changed the recipe only slightly. Settled for 1.046 rather than 1.044 and added 12g of fuggle hop pellets at flame out. It seemed pointless to keep such a small amount. I still went with the Windsor so we'll have to wait and see what the final gravity is.

Cheers

Jason
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields