Deschutes Freshly Squeezed

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Deschutes Freshly Squeezed

Post by donchiquon » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:14 am

My last couple of brews have been best bitters based around Timothy Taylor's Landlord which is a favourite.

Now these are kegged I needed to replenish a US IPA which some friends polished off a month ago.

I've had my eye on Freshly Squeezed for a while and Bertus Brewery has a good recipe for this (and several other great beers - Blind Pig etc).

Brewday went well. Used my new Type II pump from Angel which is a beast. I could only open the ball valve 45 degrees before I started pulling air through under the mash...a vacuum?

Ended up with about 30 litres at 1054 and an OG of 1062. It's not a huge beer, hoppy and not too bitter.

Still struggling a bit to sort out my boiler draining - currently a loop of stainless hose braid. I always seem to get stuck with the last couple of litres and it seems such a waste to leave it there!!!

Pitched a James Bond starter of WOP002 thanks to the Shaken not Stirred thread by Yeastwhisperer and it was off and bubbling in under 7 hours. 24.5 litres in the FV.

And yes, that is a foot of early snow showing in the hydrometer photo!

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ian

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Deschutes Freshly Squeezed

Post by Matt in Birdham » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:05 am

That looks great - my kind of beer! I really like these slightly maltier / less bitter IPAs (almost like English IPAs with US hops I guess). The Hop Zombie clone I have done a couple of times is quite similar actually, with Munich, quite a lot of crystal, WLP002 and a bucket load of late citra. Let us know how it turns out - might have to give this one a go..

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:25 pm

Matt in Birdham wrote:That looks great - my kind of beer! I really like these slightly maltier / less bitter IPAs (almost like English IPAs with US hops I guess). The Hop Zombie clone I have done a couple of times is quite similar actually, with Munich, quite a lot of crystal, WLP002 and a bucket load of late citra. Let us know how it turns out - might have to give this one a go..
I agree, while I like the occasional hop monster I do prefer the English style. I have one on my list to brew early next year.
I'm just here for the beer.

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:24 pm

Thanks guys - the recipe (and probably the name) has always tempted me.

I kegged on Monday. It's pretty dark - definitely not the amber-blond IPAs that I'm used to.

I split the batch into two half kegs and added a small 30g keg hop to one keg just to see the difference.

Next up is a proper English IPA - all Fuggles, Goldings, and Target. Looking forward to tasting the two beers side by side if the Deschutes lasts long enough!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ian

Frothy

Post by Frothy » Sun May 21, 2017 6:31 pm

How are you mashing there? Recircing over a false bottom?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Sun May 28, 2017 10:47 am

@Frothy yes, the simple version of the ACE comes with a fairly decent false bottom and I seal the edges by tucking a silicone gasket from a pressure cooker down on top of it.
Ian

simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by simple one » Wed May 31, 2017 6:03 pm

Lovely view.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Wed May 31, 2017 8:07 pm

I'm loving your pid/amp control box of tricks.
I know there was some work put into that....hrs of work and a lot of thought =D> 8)

Cheers
WD
To Busy To Add,

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Wed May 31, 2017 9:04 pm

Wonkydonkey wrote:I'm loving your pid/amp control box of tricks.
I know there was some work put into that....hrs of work and a lot of thought =D> 8)
Cheers
WD
Ahem....sadly lots of thought from this forum, and hours of work from someone infinitely more qualified than I :oops:

I did however put lots of hours into combing the forum, and then lots of work into brewing and quaffing the beer :D .....does that count?
Ian