AG36 - Simple Biere De Garde

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
serum

AG36 - Simple Biere De Garde

Post by serum » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:53 am

It's time for my first Biere de Garde of the year and also the first time using the White Labs French Ale strain.

It's an adaptation of a recipe from the Farmhouse Ales book. They take an amber BDG and do a large and small brewery version and this is the larger brewery version. In the book it was Pilsner and black malt for colour. I've gone for Dingemans pale malt which is a bit darker and Carafa I to colour because it's what I had. I also chucked in some palm sugar I got from an Indian grocery store that I needed to use up. If I didn't have that I'd have just gone with white table sugar.

RECIPE:
OG: 1.064
IBU: 25
FG: ????

MASH - 60C for 30 mins, 70C for 30 mins
6kg Dingemans Pale
100g Carafa I
Fly Sparge

BOIL - 90 mins
50g Brewers Gold @60 mins
20g Saaz @ 20 mins
330g Jaggery (Palm sugar) @ 15 mins
Protofloc @ 15 mins

I ended up with the target OG of 1.064 after throwing the starter in and that's bang on what I was after. It has a nice deep brown colour which should clear to more of a reddish amber when it clears.

I'm not sure how low this yeast will go and it's not on the version of beersmith I use but I reckon I'll end up somewhere in the region of 7% with this beer once it's primed.

I'm doing a similar beer next with the same yeast and hops but I'm going to use mostly Munich malt and a blend of light and dark sugar to see how that compares.

alix101
Under the Table

Re: AG36 - Simple Biere De Garde

Post by alix101 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:34 pm

I love a good Biere de Garde but I've had mixed results with yeast it sometimes comes out to musty for me , I know it's a good thing in this style but I like a slightly cleaner one like 3 monts ...let us know how this terns out recipie looks good.
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

serum

Re: AG36 - Simple Biere De Garde

Post by serum » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:50 pm

Is that with this same yeast? I've found it really hard to find anyone who's tried it.

I tried WLP011 and it was decent for this style and quite clean. Kolsch yeast is meant to be good too but I've not tried that yet.

3 Monts is one that'd be hard to pull off as the slightest off flavour could mess it up. Have you tried Gavroche from the same brewery? My next planned brew will hopefully be a bit like that.