AG#15 - Timothy Taylor Landlord

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
MrN
Steady Drinker

Re: AG#15 - Timothy Taylor Landlord

Post by MrN » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:59 am

orlando wrote:
cerbera84 wrote:I'll have to get a bottle and compare.
You will be disappointed and confused. Because the bottled version is rubbish and nothing like the cask, chalk & cheese.
I've noticed this. It's a fine bottled pale ale but nothing special. I get a lot more caramel sweetness from the bottled version which is why I wondered if the recipe is different but have also heard pasteurisation can have the affect of reducing hop character and increasing the perception of sweetness...

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:40 pm

MrN wrote:
orlando wrote:
cerbera84 wrote:I'll have to get a bottle and compare.
You will be disappointed and confused. Because the bottled version is rubbish and nothing like the cask, chalk & cheese.
I've noticed this. It's a fine bottled pale ale but nothing special. I get a lot more caramel sweetness from the bottled version which is why I wondered if the recipe is different but have also heard pasteurisation can have the affect of reducing hop character and increasing the perception of sweetness...
Bottled beers are just made differently, they tend to be stronger, to stand up to what might be a long shelf life and in this case filtered and probably pasteurised for similar reasons. Net effect is nothing like the real thing. You can see why CAMRA insist on BC bottled beer.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Goosey
Piss Artist

Post by Goosey » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:08 pm

cerbera84 wrote: Its been a while since I had a cask version of this (about 8 years ago in the Shakespeare in Birmingham, IIRC) so I'll have to get a bottle and compare.
Sorry to hijack this thread, but is the Shakespeare pub still there? I ask because I've just bought a pub sign (The Shakespeare) on ebay and was told it was from a pub in Birmingham.

cerbera84
Piss Artist

Post by cerbera84 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:43 pm

Goosey wrote:is the Shakespeare pub still there?
this is the one I went to https://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/restau ... ham/drinks, which is apparently still there
Planning: BrewEasy system build; possibly a Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold clone
Fermenting: Simcoe SMASH
Drinking: Cascade Centennial Pale

MrN
Steady Drinker

Post by MrN » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:39 pm

orlando wrote: Bottled beers are just made differently, they tend to be stronger, to stand up to what might be a long shelf life and in this case filtered and probably pasteurised for similar reasons. Net effect is nothing like the real thing. You can see why CAMRA insist on BC bottled beer.
Interestingly the bottled landlord is actually weaker than cask which seems unusual.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:21 pm

It was originally a bottled beer then cask came after I think, which is a bit unusual . I prefer the cask too, pasteurising traditional pale british beers tends to give them a boiled sweet character I'm not fond of