Bullion Brown Ale

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
DaveyT
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Bullion Brown Ale

Post by DaveyT » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:29 pm

EDIT: This is meant to be in 'Brew Days'. Can I move it? Sorry about that. Edit: Thanks, Admin.
Hi there
Had a great brewday yesterday; probably the smoothest I've had since turning to all grain. I got some Bullion hops from Scuppeteer and they seemed to fit into my plans for a brown ale. The recipe I went for was:

14 litres
27 IBU
27 EBC
WLP002

1kg pilsner malt
1kg Vienna malt
450g Amber malt (Crisp)
300g Brown malt
300g crystal

15g Bullion 10 min
20gBillion 5min

I wanted to use ale malt not pilsner but the Vienna and pilsner were in similar, unlabeled containers so I couldn't tell them apart do slung them both in. It's slightly darker than I'd like; more mahogany than chestnut, but still brown rather than dark. I was exciting this as I wanted more brown and crystal.
The Bullion are really good. They've got a really big, round blackcurrant flavour. Really bold but still very English.

I've divided the batch into three. One I'll dry hop with Bullion and one I'll dry hop with Citra and Comet. I've got some mulberries that might end up in the third. Not sure yet.

Cheers
David
Last edited by DaveyT on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evolution didn't end with us growing thumbs.
Bill Hicks

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Bullion Brown Ale

Post by 6470zzy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:38 pm

Looks like a good brew. =D> I haven't used Bullion hops in a few years but I do remember the great black currant flavour, a nice change from grapefruit etc.
Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

DaveyT
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Bullion Brown Ale

Post by DaveyT » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:43 pm

It is. And very striking without being overbearing. I'll have to get them into something pale next!
Evolution didn't end with us growing thumbs.
Bill Hicks