AG #23 West Coast Pale Ale

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
monkeyboy
Piss Artist

AG #23 West Coast Pale Ale

Post by monkeyboy » Tue May 30, 2017 3:48 pm

After a bit of a disaster last time out, I wanted to have another go with my shiny new mash tun, now that I understand how to use BrewSmith properly. I've had some Citra lying around for a while, and wanted to go for something fairly simple, and not too strong - more of a west coast session ale.

Grain:
3 Kg Pale Malt
250g carapils
350g Munich
150g Wheat
300g Rye Malt
250g Crystal

Hops:
10g Apollo - 60 mins
15g Citra - 15mins
25g Simcoe - 2mins
25g Citra - 2mins

Yeast: WLP001

Target IBU: 35
Target OG: 1.046

I was aiming to mash at 66.7. Brewsmith told me that I needed 11.24L at 82C. So having made sure this time that I stirred the water to even out the temp before dumping it into the mash tun, I followed this as closely as I could. Once the grain was in, the tun was reading 68. So I added some cold water. Although I didn't add very much, predictably enough it was too much and I overshot and ended up having to add boiling water. I think the lesson was to be a bit more patient - it was probably going to drop to 66.7 all on it's own. Anyway, I ended up mashing at 66.3, which is close enough I suppose. Mash tun performed admirably - I lost .3 in an hour. So that confirms the problems I had hitting temps last time around were entirely user error caused by misunderstanding brewsmith.

Still getting lots of 'bits' in the wort, even with recycling about 8L. But otherwise everything went smoothly, and I got 21L into the FV at 1.043. Slightly down on the estimated 1.046, and only 70% efficiency, but that might be down to the mash issues.
Fermenting: AG#22 San Diego IPA
Drinking: Probably.

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Re: AG #23 West Coast Pale Ale

Post by donchiquon » Tue May 30, 2017 5:30 pm

Nice looking grain bill. Should have a good amount of body. I've been trying a few similar recipes and mashing high to try and dial in a 3.5-4% session ale.
Ian

monkeyboy
Piss Artist

Re: AG #23 West Coast Pale Ale

Post by monkeyboy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:13 pm

Just did a blind taste test with a mate of mine. We had my beer, Sierra Nevada PA, Lagunitas IPA and Goose Island IPA. We both preferred the Lagunitas, but only just. The other three were pretty much on a par. I'll take that! Despite the problems with hitting my SG, it all turned out okay in the end :)
Fermenting: AG#22 San Diego IPA
Drinking: Probably.