Fruity Friday!

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Kohoutec
Steady Drinker

Fruity Friday!

Post by Kohoutec » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:28 am

This was last night...

Well this certainly isn't ideal brewing weather with my crappy chiller but mourning the closure of my LHBS the only thing to do was get a brew on...
This is an unashamed attempt at a fruity tropical pale ale. I've been experimenting with hopbursting the last couple of brews and this is another one, although I chickened out of not having any boil additions... It just doesn't seem right although I will try it sometime.

The recipe

ImageImageImage

Got myself a fresh bag of Maris Otter from Tucker's, it's not the cheapest but living just round the corner saves on postage.
Obligatory grist shot
I've had problems with stuck mashes recently, was going to try a bazooka filter in my tun... That's when I found out the LHBS had closed :( So for now using my old BIAB bag in the tun which helps. Pretty much hit my target of 66.7 so happy with that
The Bette Middler mash! There's a converted Gatorade cooler under there somewhere
Spent grist
Some way through the boil
Hops lovely hops
Steep... Note woeful chiller!
I got it down to 25 which isn't bad considering the heat. It's currently cooling down in the fridge before pitching... Not there yet

I tried IPAs yeast harvesting method on my last brew and had a nice healthy looking deposit of yeast in the bottle. I added that to a 1l starter 3 days ago, let that ferment out, and then today drew of another litre of wort 15 minutes into the boil to wake it up further.
It's beginning to do it's thing already so hopefully this will work, got dry yeast on standby if not
Cold break
Got 23l at 1052 in the end so slightly under gravity but I'll take that.
Wort transfer

Cheers!

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Re: Fruity Friday!

Post by Fuggled Mind » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Love the blanket on your mash tun. Like you, I have some very fancy blankets that I use when mashing including an Iranian table cloth (that I managed to burn bloody big holes in with CRS solution).

Looking good. Not tried hop bursting either. I often do FWH, not because I want to transfer aromas, but just to stop boil overs.

Cheers

Jason
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

lionelo

Post by lionelo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:07 pm

Looks good, the colour is very deep. Fortunately it is not very muzzy, I am not a huge fan of muzzy beers. How it is with a fruity bouquet?

Kohoutec
Steady Drinker

Post by Kohoutec » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:33 pm

lionelo wrote:Looks good, the colour is very deep. Fortunately it is not very muzzy, I am not a huge fan of muzzy beers. How it is with a fruity bouquet?
The beer in the glass was the previous brew... I've only had one of this one so far, it's not quite ready. It's not bad by any stretch but I still haven't quite nailed the fruit bomb I was after, despite the bucket list of late hops!
What does muzzy mean, hazy?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk