First Extract Brew Question

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
Caddarn

First Extract Brew Question

Post by Caddarn » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:30 am

Hi all,

I brewed my first extract beer on Sunday (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/scot ... t-kit.html) and it was also the first time I've used hop pellets. I noticed when pouring the wort from the pot into the fermenter that there was quite a lot of hop residue in suspension. The instructions say to rack to a secondary fermentor after 2 weeks and leave it there for 2-4 weeks. My question is this, is racking for that long necessary? Wouldn't leaving it that long let most of the yeast settle out and make it more difficult to carbonate the beer in a bottle? Not to mention the additional risk of infection...

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: First Extract Brew Question

Post by Fil » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:29 pm

No, ;) there will be millions of yeast in suspension invisible to the eye in the beer they are tiny lil buggers.
so bottling a clear beer will have plenty of yeast for conditioning without any worries.

enjoy the beer ..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Rick_UK

Post by Rick_UK » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:08 pm

No need to rack to secondary. Modern thought is that the beer is best left on the yeast so it can clean up off flavours and compounds produced in primary fermentation. Also there is the increased risk of infection with an additional transfer.

Most homebrewers now leave in FV for about 2-3 weeks then straight to keg or bottling vessel.

Rick

Caddarn

Post by Caddarn » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:46 pm

Thanks guys. That was my understanding Rick and it's what I've been doing with kits, just wanted to double check!