Extract Tanglefoot Recipe

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
Uncle Joshua

Extract Tanglefoot Recipe

Post by Uncle Joshua » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:23 pm

Has anyone got a Recipe for an extract version of Tanglefoot? just had my first pint and loved it.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Extract Tanglefoot Recipe

Post by trucker5774 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:28 pm

When you find one ....share it viewtopic.php?f=4&t=43295
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

Uncle Joshua

Post by Uncle Joshua » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:33 pm

Forgot that I'd read that. that thread was probably the reason I bought the Tanglefoot in the first place!

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by oz11 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:22 pm

There is a recipe for an AG Tanglefoot here. You would need to replace the pale malt with DME or LME and I'm sure I've seen a formula somewhere to find out the amount. :whistle:

Uncle Joshua

Post by Uncle Joshua » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:09 pm

Anyone know how much malt extract you'd add to this...

TANGLEFOOT 5 gallon batch OG 1048 ABV 5.1% 24 EBU

PALE MALT 3510 gms
SUGAR 770 gms

HOPS 90 minute boil

CHALLENGER 18 gms
NORTHDOWN 10 gms

Add 20 gms NORTHDOWN last 15 minutes.

YEAST of your choice.

I was thinking around 2640g or 2270g of DME.

barl_fire

Post by barl_fire » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:57 pm

Download yersel a copy of GW' s Beer Engine if you've not already, essential tool now yer doing extract. Add those amounts of malts, hops, boil times etc in your AG recipe till you get all the data for the AG version. Make a note of the abv. Delete the pale malt from the recipe in your beer engine spreadsheet, then simply replace it with increasing amounts of pale DME until you reach the same abv as the AG version, simple as that.

I'd do it for ya, but I'm up to me elbows in paint and have just popped in here while having a cheeky cup of tea, gotta dash :lol:

Uncle Joshua

Post by Uncle Joshua » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:17 pm

Does this sound about right....

barl_fire

Post by barl_fire » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:55 pm

Keep inputting the malt till it hits 1.048/5.1% and you're pretty much there UJ

Bit surprised the original recipe only has pale malt as Tanglefoot is more amber ain't it, guess that's why you're using the amber yersel.

Noticed your ebu is higher but where hops are concerned the aa% normally needs changing in beer engine for a given crop of hops so you can tweek amounts accordingly (just check what it says on your packets of hops) :)

Uncle Joshua

Post by Uncle Joshua » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:26 pm

The malt was an error, but maybe pale malt is a little dark? this may be closer...

TheFlatulentCow

Post by TheFlatulentCow » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:23 pm

I bought GW's British Real Ale book following the recommendations from my first post and it is indeed a good book. Sadly no Tanglefoot clone but it does have a Fuller's ESB recipe which is another strong beer I like so I've just done my first extract brew using this recipe. The colour isn't that far from Tanglefoot (slightly darker) and it too uses pale malt which is replaced with pale LME when you do it extract styley but it also has 500g of Crystal malt which gave it the right colour when I steeped them. For the ABV of 5.4 the recommendation was to use 3800g of LME instead of the 5060g of pale malt in the AG version. I'm not really sure how all the conversions work but i would say if you are going to use 3800g of LME and 770g of sugar you may end up with a higher ABV than 5.1%. Be keen to find out how this recipe compares to the original. Good luck!