1.030 and Stop. Twice.

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
dude

Re: 1.030 and Stop. Twice.

Post by dude » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:36 pm

Cheers for letting us know, Edd. Can you give me a few more details. What brand did you use, and what's the proceedure for adding it?

Edd

Post by Edd » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:43 pm

[quote="dude"]Cheers for letting us know, Edd. Can you give me a few more details. What brand did you use, and what's the proceedure for adding it?[/quote]

Details on the enzyme?

Very simple to use - I bought a pack Brupaks dry beer enzyme and followed the instructions on the pack, simply sprinkle on top of the beer. You then leave it to do its thing, there has been no signs of fermentation.

Update 2,

Its still dropping! Down to 1.008. The test sample was dry, bitter, very fruity (hopped with Chinook and Centennial) and with a strong alcohol taste. for 1.008 beer, there is a lot less body that I expected but then again its sitting at over 6.5% now :roll: . The enzyme really has eaten through it all. Interested to see if it keeps dropping and whether it will actually taste any good. For fun Iv dry hopped it with Chinook, Centennial and home grown Cascade.

Edd

Post by Edd » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:55 pm

Update 3 -

Bottled today with 125g of sugar. Iv had three reading of 1.005 over the course of 5 days, so here is to hoping it finished. I'm quite positive it has.
Tasted much as before but more rounded. Its still a green beer, so with time I'm quite hopeful this might turn out OK. :-)

I now have 30 330ml bottles and a good load of 500ml bottles of 7.3% dry IPA. Its got a really good citrus/grapefruit kick to it.

Any ideas for a name for it??

sheffstevie

Post by sheffstevie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:48 pm

I did an extract brew 5 days ago with 2Kg light DME also from Worcestor hop Shop with Citra hops and US s05 yeast.3 gallons came out at 1050.First extract brew for 20 years as normally do AG. Fermentation started quickly with good head and today it looked like it had finished with no yeast covering at all. However its still reading at 1030 and looking at this post I'm wondering if this batch of DME has got bizarrely got a load more dextrins than normal in it. I have racked the brew into 3 demijohns and will move it somewhere a bit warmer. Hoping it gets down to a reasonable FG as it does taste lovely thanks to the Citra (although obviously rather sweet) If nowt happens over the next few days it looks like dry beer enzyme time and maybe an email to WHS to ask where this batch came from. At £4 a kilo it is a good price compared to anywhere else but obviously a false economy if it won't chuffin ferment!

simon50

Post by simon50 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:51 am

i would be interested to hear what they say.

all subsequent beers i have made, having got DME from thehomebrewcompany.co.uk have been within 1 point of their target gravity, the most recent was bang on 1.010.

sheffstevie

Post by sheffstevie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:42 pm

After another 6 days of warm encouragement and rousing the ale has dropped precisely zero degrees - yep still nailed on at 1030 - I have today added some dry beer enzyme to the 3 demijohns so we will see what happens with this batch. Convinced this DME is profiled all wrong given whats happened with other posters - I still have about 6oz left that I kept back for priming duties - anyone know if it can be analysed for excess dextrins? ( although having said that even dextrins drop slightly as the yeast struggles to ferment them and there is absolutely no drop in gravity) Have never come across this in 30 years of brewing. will drop WHS an email and ask them for their thoughts as service / prices and ingredients otherwise spot on.

Update just dropped then an email asking for their thoughts - noticed DME no longer available on website.

whitstella

Post by whitstella » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:08 pm

I brought a 20 kg bag and the 3 brews i have done all finished at 1030. But they did send me a tub of lme fingers crossed.

sheffstevie

Post by sheffstevie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:52 pm

whitstella wrote:I brought a 20 kg bag and the 3 brews i have done all finished at 1030. But they did send me a tub of lme fingers crossed.

Really? how many kg? ( cos they only have 25kg advertised on the site) and did they offer any explanations as to where they got this stuff from and if they were seeking redress from their supplier for faulty goods? So far I have had no reply to my email and the dry beer enzyme doesnt seem to be doing much either.

whitstella

Post by whitstella » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:59 pm

hi

they sent me a email saying they have not had a problem with it, but sent me a lme.

sheffstevie

Post by sheffstevie » Wed May 22, 2013 11:18 pm

Still no reply from WHS and enzyme hasnt done anything either - tastes still incredibly sweet but artificially so. Convinced this is/was dodgy adulterated DME and disappointed not to have had reply from WHS - ok only spent £8 on the stuff but even so....