PETE'S WICKED ALE (USA, 1980'S)

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

PETE'S WICKED ALE (USA, 1980'S)

Post by seymour » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:28 pm

So, you Englishmen have always had good beer around, right? Not so in America, hence the need for a big craftbrew revolution in the 1980's-90's. One of the very first alternatives to Bud/Miller/Coors adjunct lagers was Pete's Wicked Ale. It was darker, maltier, hoppier, fuller-bodied, and higher in alcohol than almost anything else offered at the time. Sounds like good ol' English ale, huh? Well, years later, Pete admitted he was trying to clone Sam Smiths Nut Brown Ale. :)

It grew and grew in popularity, and earned such wide distribution that many modern American brewers and beer fans credit it among their first delicious beers which put them on a path toward enlightenment. Sadly, it's long-gone now except for the tattered T-shirts at beer festivals. Gambrinus bought-out Pete in 1998 and watered it down in 2000, so it could no longer hold its own with contemporaries Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Anchor Steam, Sam Adams, Dogfish Head, etc, much less the more extreme breweries we've come to know and love. Even so, it was a good stepping stone and would still make a solid beer.

For your consideration: this is the recipe that Pete’s Brewing Company in San Antonio, Texas, would send if you requested a homebrew recipe equivalent. Note: volumes are US gallons.
PETE'S WICKED ALE homebrew recipe

Ingredients: (5 gallons)
8 oz 2-row Malt
8 oz 60 Lovibond Crystal Malt
8 oz Special Roast Malt
4 oz Chocolate Malt
6.6 lbs Northwestern Gold Malt Extract (unhopped)
1.5 oz Brewer’s Gold Pellets (bittering, 60 minute boil)
1 oz Brewer’s Gold Pellets (last 10 minutes)
Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast
1/2 ounce Brewers Gold pellets (dry hopping)

Instructions:
-Add grains to a grain bag, steep in 2 Gal water at 155F for 45 mins to 1 hr, stirring occasionally. Remove grains, add extract and bring to a boil.

Total boil time 75 mins.-Boil for 15 mins, then add bittering hops.-Continue for 50 mins, then add aroma hops (10 mins before knockoff)

Cool to pitching temp, pitch yeast (build a starter for the yeast)

-Add dry hops after fermentation has completed, so the escaping gas will not carry your hop aroma out of the airlock. I would probably ferment in primary for a week, rack to secondary and add the dry hops after activity had subsided.
*For you all-grain brewers: I'd translate that grainbill as:
90% Pale, 4% Crystal 60L Malt, 4% Special Roast Malt, 2% Chocolate Malt

For what it's worth, I've seen other allegedly authentic early Pete's Wicked Ale recipes which called for up to 20% Crystal Malt, which might've made it a little more like Samuel Smiths Nut Brown Ale: 78.5% Pale, 10.2% Crystal Malt, 10% Amber Malt, 1.4% Chocolate Malt.

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Re: PETE'S WICKED ALE (USA, 1980'S)

Post by sbond10 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:02 am

I just converted the gallons to uk ones and I got this
2 us is 1 uk ones
5 us is 4 uk ones

That sounds about right I think as for the ingredients

8 oz is 226.80g
6oz is 170.10g
1.5oz is 42.524g
1oz is 28.350g
0.5oz is 14.175g
6.6 lb is 2kg 993.71g or roughly 2 uk 1.5kg cans

Looks a good recipe Seymour might go onto the long list I might do that recipe

Blackaddler
Under the Table

Post by Blackaddler » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:52 am

seymour wrote: Sadly, it's long-gone now except for the tattered T-shirts at beer festivals.
I've got an untattered one of those somewhere!

seymour

Post by seymour » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:03 pm

sbond10 wrote:I just converted the gallons to uk ones and I got this
2 us is 1 uk ones
5 us is 4 uk ones
I think you meant 1 UK gallon = 1.2 US gallons, right?
Thus, 4.8 US gallons = 4 UK gallons, 5 UK gallons = 6 US gallons, etc.

With regards to this recipe: 5 US gallons = 4.16 UK gallons. You can simply multiply everything by 1.2 to convert your own 5 gallon batch. Or follow the recipe exactly and shoot for final volume of 4.16 UK gallons.

I'd like to apologize on behalf of my country for our stupid measuring systems. That's why, when I share recipes on here, I try to emphasize grainbill percentages over anything else. That way, you can plug it into your own unique calculators, favourite software program, brewhouse efficiencies, brew lengths, etc...
Blackaddler wrote:
seymour wrote: Sadly, it's long-gone now except for the tattered T-shirts at beer festivals.
I've got an untattered one of those somewhere!
Really? That's cool! You'll have to dig it out before the next beer fest, just to pump-up your street cred. :)

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:49 am

Sorry wasnt meaning to cause offence and those gallons were the ones I got when i plumbed it into an online converter must be very wrong even I was shocked hence why I asked

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:51 am

seymour wrote: Gambrinus bought-out Pete in 1998 and watered it down in 2000, so it could no longer hold its own with contemporaries Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Anchor Steam, Sam Adams, Dogfish Head, etc, much less the more extreme breweries we've come to know and love. Even so, it was a good stepping stone and would still make a solid beer.
A few years after that Pete was at a winter ale fest in Portland, OR promoting a line of (craft?) chocolates. My son-in-law asked him a question about the beer and Pete did NOT want to talk about it. I'm not sure if he was unhappy about how the beer was treated or he was just really into promoting his new venture and tired of beer questions.
I'm just here for the beer.

seymour

Post by seymour » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:25 pm

sbond10 wrote:Sorry wasnt meaning to cause offence and those gallons were the ones I got when i plumbed it into an online converter must be very wrong even I was shocked hence why I asked
No offence taken, sorry I came across that way.

Cheers!
-Seymour

mabrungard
Piss Artist

Post by mabrungard » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:39 pm

Rookie wrote:
seymour wrote: Gambrinus bought-out Pete in 1998 and watered it down in 2000, so it could no longer hold its own with contemporaries Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Anchor Steam, Sam Adams, Dogfish Head, etc, much less the more extreme breweries we've come to know and love. Even so, it was a good stepping stone and would still make a solid beer.
A few years after that Pete was at a winter ale fest in Portland, OR promoting a line of (craft?) chocolates. My son-in-law asked him a question about the beer and Pete did NOT want to talk about it. I'm not sure if he was unhappy about how the beer was treated or he was just really into promoting his new venture and tired of beer questions.

I think it was on a Brewing Network podcast that they interviewed Pete. It was apparent from the interview that he is not a beer person, he is a marketer. I assume the same thing applies to the chocolate venture. I'm not surprised that he didn't want to talk about beer since he has a limited knowledge and more talk would further expose that.

Another factor in Pete's Wicked Ale was that it was contract brewed in multiple breweries with little coordination in ingredients. I've had phenomenal bottles of PWA, but I've had many that were so-so. Quality control is a must and they didn't have it. When its on, PWA is one of my favorite beers and it fostered a keen interest in American Brown Ales. I picked up a great recipe from Matt Cole, head brewer with Fat Heads Brewing in Cleveland, OH when he was with Rocky River Brewing. He has multiple World Beer Cup and GABF gold medals and is also a fan of PWA. I've tweaked it slightly to refine the character to what I remember of PWA, but its otherwise unchanged.

Enjoy!

Expansion Brown Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.76
Anticipated OG: 1.063 Plato: 15.47
Anticipated SRM: 21.2
Anticipated IBU: 36.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %
Additional Utilization Used For First Wort Hops: -10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
72.3 8.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
8.5 1.00 lbs. Flaked Soft White Wheat America 1.034 2
4.3 0.50 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
4.3 0.50 lbs. Vienna Malt Germany 1.037 3
3.2 0.38 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
3.2 0.38 lbs. Chocolate Malt Belgium 1.030 500
2.1 0.25 lbs. Crystal 60L UK 1.035 60
2.1 0.25 lbs. Crystal 75L Great Britian 1.034 75

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
7.09 g. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Pellet 4.50 4.7 First WH
22.68 g. Northern Brewer Pellet 7.40 24.9 60 min.
21.26 g. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Pellet 3.20 2.7 15 min.
28.35 g. Cascade Pellet 5.30 3.7 5 min.
28.35 g. Northern Brewer Pellet 7.40 0.0 Dry Hop
28.35 g. Cascade Pellet 5.30 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1028 London Ale Yeast
Martin B
Indianapolis, Indiana

BJCP National Judge
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at: https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Wat ... =bookmarks

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:56 pm

seymour wrote:
sbond10 wrote:Sorry wasnt meaning to cause offence and those gallons were the ones I got when i plumbed it into an online converter must be very wrong even I was shocked hence why I asked
No offence taken, sorry I came across that way.

Cheers!
-Seymour
I'd happily go with your figures all day long not been wrong in the past than some online converter