Reduced sized batches?

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
Thunersee

Reduced sized batches?

Post by Thunersee » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:43 pm

How do you divide an ingredients list to make a smaller batch?

I notice most recipes are for +/- 19ltr brews but if you are starting out (like me) and you want to make a small trial run of something do you just reduce all amounts, lets say by half for a 10ltr batch?

What about the amount of yeast?

Does it influence the seep and boil time?

Jeltz
Piss Artist

Re: Reduced sized batches?

Post by Jeltz » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:51 pm

yep, if the recipe is 19L then divide all quantities by 19 and you'll get the amount per litre, you then multiply by the batch size you want.
Rega

TonyT40

Post by TonyT40 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:51 pm

I had the same question yesterday. After trawling the web for smaller recipes all I came up with is that if you want half divide quantities by two #-o

I'm going to try my first extract brew next week (when the hops arrive).

DaveyT
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DaveyT » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:51 pm

Do you have beer software? If not, you can find lots of threads on this forum on which might work best for you.
What I do is put in the quantities fir the longer brew lengths (say 23l), then take note of the percentages of each ingredient. I can then recalculate the recie with the same percentages but for my 14l brew length.
Well, I used to. Now I use software called Beer Alchemy that changes the quantities when I change the brew length. It aldo has a sliding bar thing that does the same if I want the beer stronger or weaker.
Beer software is ace as you can play about with it for hours working out what to brew. It's half the fun of this hobby.

David
Evolution didn't end with us growing thumbs.
Bill Hicks