Saaz hop schedule needed for extract lager

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
punt1971

Saaz hop schedule needed for extract lager

Post by punt1971 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:20 am

Hi

I'm planning on doing an extract lager. A small step up from a kit while I'm aquiring my AG equipment. And TBH, can't be arsed to do a minimash at the mo.

My recipe is simple enough and decided from reading around and not from experience.

I'm thinking of using 2 cans of light LME and S-23 lager yeast. For the hops I've decided on Saaz, again not from experience but from reading.

I could do with some help on the hop schedule for a 20l batch for an easily drinkable lager.

This will be mainly for guests over xmas as I'm more of an IPA fella but have been known to sink a refreshing lager or two!

RobWalker

Re: Saaz hop schedule needed for extract lager

Post by RobWalker » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:29 pm

That largely depends on your boil size, no doubt the most important thing when choosing a hop schedule...

Lagers (or lagery types) I'll usually use 60 and 15 min additions only. Saaz is a great hop.

punt1971

Post by punt1971 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Cheers Rob

Please educate me… Why is the boil size important? My boil will be around 10l but will be watered down to 20l afterwards. Surely it’s the final volume that’s important? Forgive my ignorance if I’m way of the mark here :)

Any thoughts on hop amounts for the above?

Cheers!

RobWalker

Post by RobWalker » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:25 pm

Hop alpha acid extraction doesn't utilize well until you hit a 5 gallon or so boil, and so you need to account for the loss in efficiency. your brewing software will do that for you easily, but you need to have the measurements :)

I used to boil up 2 gallons, the best way is to fill your pot up using a measuring jug - do a litre or two at a time, and see how high you can get without risking boil over. when you've stopped, you've figured out how high your boil volume will be. you can keep this topped up with kettle water during the boil if you wish.

once you input your boil volume and your batch size, you will be able to add your hops and get a reasonably accurate idea of what IBU you are looking at - how bitter your beer is. it's important to get it more or less right for every style of beer.

final volume is important too but hey, it's all important. Here's an example...
Style: American Lager

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 10.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 7.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.0 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 100.0 %
40.00 gm Saaz [4.00%] (60 min) Hops 12.9 IBU
20.00 gm Saaz [4.00%] (15 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
whereas if you were boiling up the full volume...
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 22.89 L
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 7.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 100.0 %
25.00 gm Saaz [4.00%] (60 min) Hops 12.7 IBU
20.00 gm Saaz [4.00%] (15 min) Hops 5.0 IBU

punt1971

Post by punt1971 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:42 pm

Cheers Rob

That spurred me into reading a up on the subject and I think I've got a handle on things now. I do like to learn new sh** :)

If you don't mind, can you tell me what calculator you used the the examples posted.

Cheers again!