My first extract brew!

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
sub333

My first extract brew!

Post by sub333 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:26 pm

Just finished my first extract brew, a Fuller's ESB clone.
Was so cool to use actual grains and hops for the first time!

Comparing it to the kits I used to do, I'm very hopeful that it will knock spots of them.

A few schoolboy errors along the way:
- opened my liquid yeast too early, as I thought the 'inner packet' was inside the main one - d'oh! A lesson learned...
- my brewpot didn't hold quite as much as I thought it did
- when I added the DME, tried to add it too quickly, so bit of a boilover experience
- forgot to add the Irish Moss, but I've heard that with extract kits, cloudiness is less of an issue, so hopefully not a problem

Initial hydrometer reading: 1.052

Should be ready by Christmas - can't wait to taste it.

barry44

Re: My first extract brew!

Post by barry44 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:43 am

Well done mate. I moved to extract about a year ago and loved the fact that it seemed so more involving and that you were making beer rather than adding water to the kit.

I also had boilover the forst time but havent had it since, I add 500g at the start then add the remaining 2.5kg with 15 minutes to go. I bought a balloon whisk for stiring in the dme and it was the best buy I have made since.

I used irish moss for the first couple of brews but I didnt think it made any difference so stopped using it.

Beware though as extract is the start of the path to the darkside. Ive just made my first AG brew...

Enjoy mate.

TonyT40

Post by TonyT40 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:47 am

Hi Sub

What was the recipe and how much did it make. I have a SS pot ready to christen :D and am looking for a recipe.

Tony

sub333

Post by sub333 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:39 pm

TonyT40 wrote:Hi Sub

What was the recipe and how much did it make. I have a SS pot ready to christen :D and am looking for a recipe.

Tony
Hi Tony,
Here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/fullers ... one-35498/

(5 gallons, extract with grains)

OG = 1.060 FG = 1.014 Bitterness = 35 IBUs ABV=5.9%

Ingredients

•1 lb. (0.45 kg) Crisp Maris Otter (3.5-4.5 L)
•1 lb. 4oz. (0.57 kg) crystal malt (60 L)
•1 lb. 5oz. (0.6 kg) corn sugar
•2.2 lbs. (1 kg) light dried malt extract (DME)
•3.3 lbs (1.5 kg) light liquid malt extract (LME)
•5.25 AAU Target hops (.42 oz./12 gm of 10% alpha acid) (60 min)
•2.6 AAU Challenger hops (0.46 oz./13 gm of 7.5% alpha acid) (60 Min)
•0.83 AAU Northdown hops (0.1 oz./2.7 gm of 8.5% alpha acid) (15 Min)
•1.66 AAU Goldings hops (0.33 oz./9.4 gm of 5% alpha acid) (15 Min)
•1 Whirfloc Tablet and yeast nutrient(15 min)
•Special London yeast slurry (Wyeast 1968) (2 qt./~2 L yeast starter)
•3/4 cups light corn sugar for priming

Step by Step

In a large pot, heat 3.4 quarts of water to 165 Deg F. Add crushed grains to grain bag. Submerge bag and let grains steep around 154 deg F for 45 minutes.
While grains steep, heat 2.25 gallons of water in brewpot. When steep is over, remove 1.1 quarts from brewpot and add to steep pot. Remove grain bag. Sparge grain with steep liquid. Add to brewpot.
Heat brewpot to a boil. Add DME. Add target and Challenger hops.
Begin 60 min boil.
With 15 min remaining, add corn sugar, Whirfloc and yeast nutrients, Northdown and Goldings hops.
Turn off heat. Add LME. Stir to dissolve.
Return pot to boil.
Remove from heat, cool. Add to fermenter along with enough chilled, pre-boiled water to make up 5.25 gallons.

When cooled to 70° F, aerate well and pitch yeast. Ferment at 70° F for seven days. Rack to secondary, condition at 70° F for seven days or when beer falls clear. Prime with corn sugar and bottle. Bottle condition for 2 weeks.

sub333

Post by sub333 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:25 am

Did a hydrometer reading last night.

Came out at 1.016 - I guess I should leave it a bit longer and check again in a couple of days' time?

Tasted good, though - way more complex than the kits I've made in the past. Encouraging. :D

sub333

Post by sub333 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:41 pm

Came out at 1.016 again.

Guess it's time to bottle! :D

sub333

Post by sub333 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:33 am

sub333 wrote:Came out at 1.016 again.

Guess it's time to bottle! :D
Actually, I'm going to show extreme patience and let the yeast settle the brew down, so will bottle next weekend.

sub333

Post by sub333 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:12 pm

All bottled.

Smelt pretty good - going to keep it tucked away until Boxing Day.

IPA recipe next, to use up my leftover hops :D

homebrewdave

Post by homebrewdave » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:56 am

Well done fella. Sounds like your at the same stage as me as my FV is currently full with my first Extract Brew. Fun isn't it?

sub333

Post by sub333 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:27 pm

homebrewdave wrote:Well done fella. Sounds like your at the same stage as me as my FV is currently full with my first Extract Brew. Fun isn't it?
Yep, certainly is. Much more fun than lobbing some liquid extract in the FV.

My first all-grain is going to happen, I can feel it... :shock:

sub333

Post by sub333 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:56 pm

Just tried it, one week after bottling.

Carbonation does not appear to have worked... :shock:

Very malty and quite sweet, and got hop amounts wrong, but very pleasant taste.

I went up to my stash and inverted all the bottles a few times - will that do any good?
I used Coopers carbonation drops (2 per 740ml bottle). They've worked in the past... any ideas what went wrong? #-o

killer
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by killer » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:19 am

Well done on your first extract brew.
As for the carbonation - where did you store the bottles ? i.e what temperature have they been at ?
Ideally the bottles should be at 18 - 22 degrees to ferment the priming sugar. If they are too cold the yeast will just sleep.
If the beer is quite sweet it might be because the priming sugar is in there - it'll probably dry out once the beer primes up.
leave the bottles somewhere warm (fermentation temp) for two weeks, then somewhere cooler for two weeks and the beer should be tip top.

sub333

Post by sub333 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:23 pm

killer wrote:Well done on your first extract brew.
As for the carbonation - where did you store the bottles ? i.e what temperature have they been at ?
Ideally the bottles should be at 18 - 22 degrees to ferment the priming sugar. If they are too cold the yeast will just sleep.
If the beer is quite sweet it might be because the priming sugar is in there - it'll probably dry out once the beer primes up.
leave the bottles somewhere warm (fermentation temp) for two weeks, then somewhere cooler for two weeks and the beer should be tip top.
They're in the same room as the FV was, so about 20-22 deg.

Guess I couldn't wait to try one! Will take your advice and leave them alone for a while :D