First Extract - BrewUK Golden Citrus Ale

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
GavH

First Extract - BrewUK Golden Citrus Ale

Post by GavH » Fri May 23, 2014 2:59 pm

Have spent the last year or so doing kits, then graduating to modifying them and now onto my first full-on Extract brew using a BrewUK offering called 'Sharpe's Golden Citrus Ale'.

It's been in the FV around 12 days now and appears to have finished fermenting judging by the stable 1.010 gravity (OG 1.049). The trial jar, despite being possibly the cloudiest brew I've seen yet, tastes sublime: the citrus flavour from which it takes its name is better than anything I've ever come across before. The instructions said to give it @10 days and to reach 1.010 however the cloudiness and the presence of what appears to be the remnants of the krausen on the surface (which I haven't seen with kit brews whether using the kit yeast, S-04 or Wyeast) combined with previous kit making experience are leading me to think I should leave it another week or so to clear up a bit.

Has anyone done this extract recipe pack before and have any advice as to whether I should leave it a little longer or keg it now?

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Re: First Extract - BrewUK Golden Citrus Ale

Post by sbond10 » Sat May 24, 2014 3:57 pm

I haven't done this kit before ( I did exmoor beast) I reckon a few more days maybe add finings if you want to clear. But if your happy with a cloudy brew then bottle reckon this ones an early drinker tho.

My next one from brewuk is gonna be sitra I reckon

GavH

Post by GavH » Sat May 24, 2014 9:18 pm

Think I'll give it til next weekend as I'm in no hurry to free up the FV nor drink this. The clearest brews I've made have all had at least three weeks in primary so may as well stick with what I know works I suppose?

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sat May 24, 2014 11:53 pm

I leave mine for 18 days but I've never gone light coloured yet mine have been darks but I don't care it's mine if it tastes good then I've achieved what I've set out to do

GavH

Post by GavH » Fri May 30, 2014 6:29 pm

Bottled 20 x 500ml tonight and kegged the rest. Still very cloudy so I'm not convinced ive got this extract brewing quite right!

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:04 pm

GavH wrote:Bottled 20 x 500ml tonight and kegged the rest. Still very cloudy so I'm not convinced ive got this extract brewing quite right!
Did you get any Irish Moss in the recipe pack?

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

GavH

Post by GavH » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:47 pm

No. I bought three different kits, none of which came with Irish Moss nor did the instructions mention its use.