corni keg

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
gus

corni keg

Post by gus » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:42 pm

after making honey porter ime thinking of buying a c keg, if using this would you still have to add the final priming sugar to the brew, or would this not be added because of the co2 injection to give it a slight tingle in the mouth.

NobbyIPA

Re: corni keg

Post by NobbyIPA » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:53 pm

no need to

just get your cornie to 10c at 10 PSI and leave for a week o so to slowly carbonate

use this to help

its in F but you can calculate to C

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: corni keg

Post by Kev888 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:53 pm

Cornie's lids are designed to seal by pressure, so you should really seal them with a blast of CO2. Assuming you can do that then you could prime if you wanted to, but for me one of the advantages of cornies is being able to easily force carbonate, like nobby says. Theres a chart in C (that also explains the axis and the colour coding) here, though its open to interpretation as people in different countries can have different views on what degree of carbonation is appropriate for the style.

Though cornies vs pressure can be a double-edged sword for some. Unless you happen to have a very good corny, they do require a minimum pressure to stay sealed - in my experience several PSI - so they perhaps aren't the best choice if you specifically want very gentle cask-like carbonation.

Though take note that force carbonating does use a lot more CO2 than (for example) simply adding gas to a PB, in fact even dispensing by pressure can result in some force carbonation if they are relatively under-carbonated to begin with. So I wouldn't recommend it unless you can find a supply of vaguely large CO2 cylinders locally - I know people 'do' use the little single-use bulbs and S30 cylinders but for me personally thats a very expensive way to force carb, and in most cases not really optimum even for dispensing.

Cheers
Kev
Kev