Help please. High finished SG with partial mash? Is it stuck

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
oakerspocus

Help please. High finished SG with partial mash? Is it stuck

Post by oakerspocus » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:23 pm

Hi all,

I brewed a partial mash extract dark ale/stout last Sunday and fermentation appears to have stopped but I have a finishing SG of 1018-1020. It is the first time I have done such a substantial partial mash. I have listed the Fermentables below.... should I give it a stir? Is it done?

FERMENTABLES:
2.5 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (46.3%)
0.1 kg - United Kingdom - Chocolate (1.9%)
0.2 kg - United Kingdom - Crystal 60L (3.7%)
0.25 kg - United Kingdom - Wheat (4.6%)
1.5 kg - Liquid Malt Extract - Dark (27.8%)
0.25 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Wheat (4.6%)
0.1 kg - United Kingdom - Black Patent (1.9%)
0.5 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Light (9.3%)

Charles1968

Re: Help please. High finished SG with partial mash? Is it s

Post by Charles1968 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:30 pm

Nice looking recipe. I doubt it's finished - probably just slowing down now the sugar level has fallen. How long has it been fermenting and what's the temp? I would move it somewhere warm if it's on the cool side. Rousing the yeast (take care not to aerate) can help if it's a sluggish variety but patience might be answer.

oakerspocus

Post by oakerspocus » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the swift reply!

It is probably a little cool as I put it in a bucket of Water because of the Indian Summer. Think I shall take it out the water and see how it goes.....maybe a gentle stir.

oakerspocus

Post by oakerspocus » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:09 pm

Just a follow up on this guys... Thanks for the advice. It was definitely finished, so I bottled it at 1018fg. I did this based on the numerous posts about dark LME being high in unfermentable sugars.... The good news is it ended up a great beer, loads of body and lovely chocolate taste. ..Image

Bottled with 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar, mini kegged with 1 tablespoon of sugar. ...