Kentucky Common Extract Recipe

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
cafelinhchi

Kentucky Common Extract Recipe

Post by cafelinhchi » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:44 am

Greetings all,

I stumbled upon Revvy's Rye Kentucky Common Ale Recipe, and I am trying to convert it as closely as possible, realizing that some elements need to be changed to account for extract brewing and also doing a partial mash for the Flaked Maize.

This is what I came up with:

3.5lbs Pale Malt Extract 2-Row
2.25lbs Flaked Maize
2lbs Rye Extract
2 oz Black Patent Malt
2 oz Crystal/Caramel Malt
1lbs 2 Row Malt (To use while mashing the Flaked Maize)

.85 Cluster Hops

American Ale Yeast

I read through the whole thread regarding the Kentucky Common and used the collective wisdom available to create this recipe.

Would appreciate hearing some feedback on this recipe. Thanks!

http://cafelinhchi.org/

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Kentucky Common Extract Recipe

Post by seymour » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:31 am

That sure looks good to me.

One thought: I don't see anything which would contribute the sour/funky characteristic. Since you won't really have a good way to "sour mash" an extact brew, I would brainstorm a way to get some lactobacillus in there. Maybe steep some aciduated/enzymatic malt, add some lactic acid, dissolve a probiotic supplement into the fermentor...

Best of luck!

timothy
Steady Drinker

Re: Kentucky Common Extract Recipe

Post by timothy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:52 pm

I think you have a perfect scenario for a sour mash, especially if this will be your first attempt. A lot of brewers only sour mash a portion of their grainbill anyways, so I would just sour mash all the grains you plan to use for this beer.

This article has a lot of info, but basically mash like normal, raise temp to stop mash enzymes, let cool then pour entire contents into vessel along with handful of unmashed/raw grains (they have the bacteria you need) where you can limit oxygen exposure (plastic jug or bucket with plastic wrap lying on top of mash), put in warm location, wait a few days or more while it sours, then strain and boil with your extract like normal. Do it!

http://byo.com/kegging/item/1691-sour-m ... techniques