Carapils Malt question

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
jinjahbiscuit
Steady Drinker

Carapils Malt question

Post by jinjahbiscuit » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:47 pm

Hi all, my first post. I'm a novice and have a question regarding Carapils malt and how it is used in an extract / specialty grain brew.
I found a recipe online for a winter style ale that looked interesting. It's mixture of LME, DME and some grains including about half a kilo of Carapils malt.
It instructs the brewer to steep all the grains for 30 minutes prior to making up the wort with the extract.
However, I've read (John Palmer online book) that Carapils should be mashed, not steeped. Any thoughts on this? What would be the likely outcome if I was to mash the Carapils?
Thanks for any advice.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Carapils Malt question

Post by Jocky » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:29 pm

Carapils is usually a very light crystal malt, and as such does not need mashing, it can be steeped.

Evidence - from Briess:
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Homebrewing/FAQs.htm#c

"Q: Should Carapils® Malt be mashed or steeped?
A: While Briess Carapils® (Dextrine-style) Malt can be mashed, it can also be steeped. For best results steep at 150-170°F and "dunk" or somehow agitate the grain and water to improve the extraction for 30 minutes. The water may get a little cloudy, however this will disappear once the wort is boiled.

Dark roasted malts, Caramel (Crystal) Malts and Briess Carapils® Malt (which is neither) can be safely steeped. It is not recommended to steep Base Malts, Pale Ale Malt, Munich Malts, Dextine Malts with a mealy endosperm or other malts with a mealy endosperm because starch could be extracted which would interfere later in the brewing process. These malts need to be partial mashed or mashed, which activates the malt enzymes and converts the grain starches into fermentable sugars."

It's worth knowing what it does too:

"It imparts no flavor or color but increases foam, improves head retention and enhances mouthfeel without adding flavor or color to your beer style."
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

jinjahbiscuit
Steady Drinker

Post by jinjahbiscuit » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Thanks Jocky.

That gives me a bit more confidence to have a go at the recipe. Thanks for why fors!

jinjahbiscuit
Steady Drinker

Post by jinjahbiscuit » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:05 pm

A little feedback for you.
I've put on a couple of brews since this post, including the winter celebration ale above. This one actually turned out best of all so far.
So thanks again!