Amber liquid malt extract ideas please?

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
Fastline
Hollow Legs

Amber liquid malt extract ideas please?

Post by Fastline » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:32 pm

I recently bought 4 cans of Amber liquid malt from the reduced section in wilkos

I was going to use them with some kits but just wondering if this is good basis for an extract brew

What else would i need Kit and ingredients wise to brew some beer using this stuff

And what types of beer is Amber liquid malt extract best suited too

I like pale ales Esb stouts most beers really

I'm pretty stocked up on lighter beers having just done a Coopers kit brew of APA with some added hops and also a Coopers Canadian Blonde

Anyone got a good idea on how I could use these and advance my brewing knowledge at the same time

Thanks in advance

micmacmoc

Re: Amber liquid malt extract ideas please?

Post by micmacmoc » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:54 pm

Read Jim's bit on extract brewing on the tabs at the top of the page. You'll need some hops and if you want a dark brew either some dark grains and a grain bag or some dark spray malt. Or maybe do a stout kit. Have you read the 'ditches stout' thread? It's the best kit I have made. Gluck and happy brewing!

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:23 pm

suplimenting a kit with a tin of lme instead of using sucrose will provide a fuller flavoured beer with substantially more body, or an extract brew as suggested above with a hop tea addition is probably the most interesting use though, for economy's sake consider a single hop brew, imho Challenger hops make a damn good single hop brew, but so will fuggles and goldings..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:38 pm

Thanks guys, always forget about the website and head straight for forum, looks like I really need to get my bum in gear and put together my boiler to be able to do the extract brewing, which is what I would like to have a go at

I've done a ditches stout before and yes found that very drinkable used dried dark malt extract, I've actually got another batch on the go in the fermenter, I did read a bit on here about using some porridge oats in the stout just after I had prepared this kit, I've got another coopers stout in the cupboard so might try that when I get around to it

Could do with some pointers on a extract brew using the amber malt extract, as far as quantity and timing on the hops

normanh

Post by normanh » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:47 pm

Amber on its own will give a pretty dark beer, not a disaster but try a can of light and amber, This i have used and the colour is good, to this I have added 1Kg of brewing sugar or maybe a Kg enhancer for a bit of body. Hops well the worlds your oyster. I favour American for aroma and a combination of English for bittering. I like a bit of strength.

Norman

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:02 pm

how do I calculate the amount of hops for this brew, I've got lots of cascade pretty sure I've got goldings too

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:30 pm

hop bitterness is measured in ibu's so https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid ... calculator

hops added for aroma at just before the end or flame out are more arbitrary check out recipes for beers you know for guidelines ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(