Patersbier!

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
BenB

Patersbier!

Post by BenB » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:55 pm

In an attempt to discover the source of my recent musty flavours I've rewound to kits (worked fine) and now onto extract brews. I went for a Greg Hughes Patersbier because it did not require any steeped grain (a potential source of musty flavours). And it was designated a quick brew (short conditioning time- good consider how late I left it to prepare some brews for the family coming over at Xmas).

I brewed up and stuck it in the FV Monday afternoon. Had a look Monday evening- nothing doing. Had a look just now and blimey- it had shat good and proper out of the bubbler. Still smelt sweet and the sample I took for a quick SG check (well it would be rude not to) was seriously nice. Nice Belgian flavour (should be at 22degC!) and nice colour. Didn't actually take enough for the hydrometer to float but has gone from 1047 to at least 1015- quick work!! Really looking forward to that one. Doubt I'll have my steeped grain Moose Drool in time from Chrimbo but to be honest not that upset- unless something goes wrong and the Patersbier goes funky I'm a happy bunny.

Such a simple brew considering how tasty it is. Will post some photos of the finished article nearer the time. :lol:

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Re: Patersbier!

Post by Jambo » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:54 pm

Good to hear, I've got the AG version in the fermenter now., missed the OG though! I used WLP530 which also fired itself out the airlock. I've found other Belgian strains do the same eg WLP400.

Looking forward to tasting it!

BenB

Re: Patersbier!

Post by BenB » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:20 pm

Well tonight I had another look. Still a load of foam on top and the lid of the bucket shows sign of yet more regurg up the bubbler but the SG has gone from 1.047 to 1.010 which is the estimated FG and it seems to be sticking at that. Slightly over the BS estimated ABV at 4.8% but still in the range for a Belgian Pale. Initial flavour is good with a nice Belgian ester profile. Finish is perhaps a bit drier than I would have initially liked. Might try and see what can be done at the bottling stage- perhaps a wee bit of lactose might suffice in the priming mixture. Otherwise very nice, eminently quaffable. Going to do 2*5L easy kegs and the rest in bottles.... Stuck the fermentation chamber down to 12 degrees tonight. The bubbler is well topped up with starsan so any reverse bubbling shouldn't be an issue.....

Going to name it "PaterNicksBier" (PNB) in light of the time of year..............