First attempt - TCP!

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
dasbootfish

First attempt - TCP!

Post by dasbootfish » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:08 pm

Hello
I recently made my first extract, a pale ale. It's been bottled now for 3 to 4 weeks. It has a strong TCP/dentist flavour - any obvious reason behind this, has anybody experienced the same.
It was dry hopped with Cluster.
Ta

f00b4r
Site Admin

Re: First attempt - TCP!

Post by f00b4r » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:13 pm

Did you use a Camden tablet on the water? What did you clean and sanitise the equipment with and did you rinse thoroughly where appropriate?

dasbootfish

Post by dasbootfish » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:22 pm

I didn't use a Camden and I sanitised with starsan.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:43 pm

Possible bacterial infection . . . The biggest cause of TCP flavours in beer, followed by not rinsing chlorine based sanitisers properly . . . and then chlorine in tap water.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:00 pm

Aleman wrote:Possible bacterial infection . . . The biggest cause of TCP flavours in beer, followed by not rinsing chlorine based sanitisers properly . . . and then chlorine in tap water.
Interesting, given your experience, that you put them in that order.

I definitely wouldn't even think about using my water straight out of the tap, apart from a relatively modest alcohol intake I drink water almost exclusively but cannot drink the tap water once it has sat for about half an hour as it smells and tastes so strongly of chlorine to me (I am not sure if this is just the temperature change or other factors as well). I definitely do not have this in some parts of the UK though.

dasbootfish

Post by dasbootfish » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:22 pm

Thanks for the responses fellas. Am I right in saying starsan doesn't need rinsed? I rinsed anyway, just to be on the safe side. I have Camden tablets so would you suggest I always use one?

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:38 pm

I would always use a Camden tablet to remove any Chlorine or Chloramines that are in your tap water prior to brewing. Some areas of the UK are worse than others but they are so cheap might as well.

I know you mentioned you used Starsan to sanitise your brewing kit, but would did you use to clean it, you still need to rinse that out thoroughly prior to using the starsan.

dad_of_jon

Post by dad_of_jon » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:31 pm

[quote="dasbootfish"]Thanks for the responses fellas. Am I right in saying starsan doesn't need rinsed? I rinsed anyway, just to be on the safe side. I have Camden tablets so would you suggest I always use one?[/quote]

star san is no rinse when diluted correctly.

I always used bottled water 17p for 2 litres it turns out great.

dasbootfish

Post by dasbootfish » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:44 pm

Tested one again last night, time to chuck the lot or use it as mouthwash!