My trial brew

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
chub1

My trial brew

Post by chub1 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:28 pm

Just cracked an early one open, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, wow it's good :mrgreen:
Did a trial 5.5 litre brew, 3.5 litre boil for 38 minutes.
80 gm golden syrup
350 gm spray malt medium
350 gm spraymalt light
38 gm crystal malt
cascade and amarillo hop pellets.
Steeped grains 30 mins, sparged using a jug. removed the bagged grains and got a boil going. Added 500 gm of the spray malt and 18 gm cascade hops
added 10 gm cascade at 20 mins and added 10 gm Amarillo at 10 mins.
Cooled in sink to 30c.
Added to FV with remaing spray malt and golden syrup, topped up to 5.5 litres. Used Wilko gevin yeast and dry hopped with 10 gm cascade and 8 gm amarillo for 5 days.Racked and batch primed.Came out around 5.5%.
Should have strained the wort :roll: lesson learned and will add a half a protofloc tablet next time. A fair amount of loose 'stuff' in the bottles :roll: but a very carefull pour did the trick.
Have some kits to use up but if this is typical i won't be doing many of them again, this is too good :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Any comments on improving on this still more will be gratefully recieved :D

Chug

Re: My trial brew

Post by Chug » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:23 pm

You're almost there Chris, can you feel the force? you just need a bigger pan and grain bag. :D

chub1

Post by chub1 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:25 pm

Chug wrote:You're almost there Chris, can you feel the force? you just need a bigger pan and grain bag. :D
Get thee behind me with your temptations :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

chub1

Post by chub1 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:31 pm

Going to do another Hoppy type lightish IPA on friday, just a small batch again and on Sunday intend to do another small trial brew this time of Stout :D :D

chub1

Post by chub1 » Mon May 16, 2016 7:04 pm

My second small extract brew turned out really well, Challenger and Cascade hops , superb :D . Did a coffee stout as well, again a small batch brew, quite pronounced coffee flavour,small head but
not at all bad and should be better for keeping, the wife woofed one down so can't be bad.
Have an Ordinary bitter just finishing, a taste from the trial jar was encouraging and also have an APA with Challenger and Crystal hops on the go, again both small batch brews, ie 6 litres.
Really impressed so far with the results and far improved on kits =D>

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Tue May 17, 2016 9:17 am

Great stuff. :)

It's only a matter of time before the dark side drags you in fully though. :lol:
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Tue May 17, 2016 10:14 am

Go on get a grain bag or make one. Grain is much cheaper, and the beer will be better again.

chub1

Post by chub1 » Tue May 17, 2016 10:35 am

Clibit wrote:Go on get a grain bag or make one. Grain is much cheaper, and the beer will be better again.
Hiya
A fella living in my road who fequents another forum has given me a grain bag which i have been using variously for crystal,choc,black and carahell malt along with roast barley.
At present i am playing around with small batches, ie stout, APA,IPA and bitter, want to do a mild as well before having a go at AG, would probably do a SMASH and dry hop,again 6 litres or so.Would most probably keep to say a max of 8/10 litres as i don't want 30/40 pints of the same beer :D

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Tue May 17, 2016 10:45 am

Yeah I usually do about 10 litres. Much quicker brew day and enough for me. More variety.

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Tue May 17, 2016 11:05 am

I'm thinking of scaling up a touch so I can do 15l batches of the stuff I've already made and really like, but I'm also thinking of going back-over and making some demijohn size batches so I can try out bigger hop hits and higher IBU brews. I reckon I could do a 5l full volume BIAB now in about 2 hrs 40 mins now.

Chub - Get yourself to Wilko's and get their 13 litre stockpot for £17. That, combined with that bag you got off Gareth will take your brewing to the next stage. You'll be able to get probably 9-10l of finished beer from that combo. Go on, go on.... why are you still here? GO ON.!

chub1

Post by chub1 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:47 am

Notlaw wrote:I'm thinking of scaling up a touch so I can do 15l batches of the stuff I've already made and really like, but I'm also thinking of going back-over and making some demijohn size batches so I can try out bigger hop hits and higher IBU brews. I reckon I could do a 5l full volume BIAB now in about 2 hrs 40 mins now.

Chub - Get yourself to Wilko's and get their 13 litre stockpot for £17. That, combined with that bag you got off Gareth will take your brewing to the next stage. You'll be able to get probably 9-10l of finished beer from that combo. Go on, go on.... why are you still here? GO ON.!
Leave me alone, stop nagging [-X :D :D

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Tue May 17, 2016 11:50 am

chub1 wrote:
Notlaw wrote:I'm thinking of scaling up a touch so I can do 15l batches of the stuff I've already made and really like, but I'm also thinking of going back-over and making some demijohn size batches so I can try out bigger hop hits and higher IBU brews. I reckon I could do a 5l full volume BIAB now in about 2 hrs 40 mins now.

Never :twisted:

I'm sure at some point you'll make the switch and thank us for pushing you.

chub1

Post by chub1 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:21 pm

Notlaw wrote:
chub1 wrote:

Never :twisted:

I'm sure at some point you'll make the switch and thank us for pushing you.
:D
Notlaw, i do have a 12 litre pot. Would almost certainly do a SMASH to start off with and possibly a dry hop. Have plenty of different hop pellets to choose from. Would still go for a smaller batch size though, just so i don't have masses of the same beer to plough through.

hazelbrew

Post by hazelbrew » Tue May 17, 2016 10:17 pm

Notlaw wrote:
I have the 13 litre stock pot from Wilko. Fits on the stove and in sink no problem to cool down...

and yes 9-10 litre of biab is possible.

or alternatively... partial mash for full length :)