High FG - bottle anyway?

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
Thehorse

High FG - bottle anyway?

Post by Thehorse » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:38 am

My smoked porter, using steeped grains and extract, has been stuck at 1,021 for days. I've tried to up the temperature and swirl it around a bit to rouse the yeast. Would I be best off bottling it anyway (I've read this risks bottle bombs), or pitching more yeast (I've heard this isn't straightforward)?

gobuchul

Re: High FG - bottle anyway?

Post by gobuchul » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:51 am

What was the OG?

You should be looking for a "quarter points". e.g. If you had an OG of 1060, you would be looking for an FG of about 1015.

Thehorse

Post by Thehorse » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:05 am

The OG was 1,050 so I was looking for it to be nearer to 1,012. I started with only about 8L of wort topped up to 11L. But I pitched the full sachet of US05 yeast.

gobuchul

Post by gobuchul » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:08 am

That seems strange. A lot of yeast for 11 litres.

I would re-pitch another packet of US05 and give it a stir.

Thehorse

Post by Thehorse » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:15 am

Is it s simple as repitching the yeast? I'd heard that the alcohol now present could damage the yast and it was better to make some kind of starter.

gobuchul

Post by gobuchul » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:16 am

I repitched on a stuck fermentation once without a problem.

However, a starter would probably be a safer way of doing it.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:31 pm

Thehorse wrote:My smoked porter, using steeped grains and extract, has been stuck at 1,021 for days. I've tried to up the temperature and swirl it around a bit to rouse the yeast. Would I be best off bottling it anyway (I've read this risks bottle bombs), or pitching more yeast (I've heard this isn't straightforward)?
Depending on what steeped grains and extract that you used it might be done.
I did an all-grain rye porter that went from 1.053 to only 1.022 because of the fairly large percentage of specialty grains.
I'm just here for the beer.