Extract First Timer and Ingredients

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
podgeskeeper

Extract First Timer and Ingredients

Post by podgeskeeper » Thu May 26, 2016 3:12 pm

Hi all,

I've done plenty of kit brew's and I'm now looking to move up and give extract brewing a go as it doesn't require much more equipment. I've been looking at some recipes and struggling to find a local supplier or if anyone can suggest an online one? I have been purchasing my kits from a stall on Cannock market but the person in charge wasn't too knowledgeable when I try'd to discuss moving on from kits or have a great deal of ingredients.

I'm also thinking of trying a dubbel recipe for my first extract, is this a sensible option? To much for a first attempt, should I just stick with a simple bitter?

Many thanks in advance.

chub1

Re: Extract First Timer and Ingredients

Post by chub1 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:56 pm

Hi
I have been doing a fair few small batch(6 litres or so) extract brews and i must say i have been very impressed with the results so far.Have done a few IPA and APA type beers plus a bitter and two stout's.
Depends how much grain, malt, hops etc you need to buy.I ordered up a fair amount from these people and even with the p.p charges thought they were very reasonable. Can also order small amounts of grain which is handy both crushed and uncrushed :D
Link-
http://www.geterbrewed.com/new-products/

Hengoedbrewer

Re: Extract First Timer and Ingredients

Post by Hengoedbrewer » Fri May 27, 2016 3:41 pm

chub1 wrote:Hi
I have been doing a fair few small batch(6 litres or so) extract brews and i must say i have been very impressed with the results so far.Have done a few IPA and APA type beers plus a bitter and two stout's.
Depends how much grain, malt, hops etc you need to buy.I ordered up a fair amount from these people and even with the p.p charges thought they were very reasonable. Can also order small amounts of grain which is handy both crushed and uncrushed :D
Link-
http://www.geterbrewed.com/new-products/
Hmm, I like the look of their APA and Porter kit- how much do you actually boil? I have a 15L stock pot which I used for my first (and only, so far) extract brew.