Super easy Bitter recipe

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
Grindcrusher
Tippler

Super easy Bitter recipe

Post by Grindcrusher » Sun May 29, 2016 7:28 pm

Hi guys, I'm an all-grain brewer looking to do a series of test brews and want a really simple extract recipe for a base. Planning to do these after work during week days so keeping it as simple as possible.

If I want to skip steeping grains, only using Muntons DME, what would be a good extract-recipe for a standard 4% bitter?

jinjahbiscuit
Steady Drinker

Re: Super easy Bitter recipe

Post by jinjahbiscuit » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:26 pm

I'm no expert, and I'm surprised you've had no response! But take a look on Brewers Friend, there's loads of recipes there, so you're bound to find something, plus there's a freebie beer calculator on the website, so you can check your recipe to see if it'll work.

Good luck!

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:26 pm

You will struggle to make anything characteristic of an English bitter without some kind of crystal/dextrin malt, which will need steeping.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:52 am

working with dme and a target OG of 1044 is pretty simple as thats the gravity you get mixing up 100g of dme upto 1l of liquor.. so for a 5 gallon (23l) batch boil up 2.3kg of dme in a healthy volume of water 8-10l and when hopped to your satisfaction liquor back with cold water to 23l and to hit the pitching temp and avoid the need to chill a larger boil volume, the hop utilisation will take a theoretical hit due to the higher concentration of the boil liquor but im sure you can google a calculator to help you account for that and adjust your additions accordingly.

However if looking to distinguish between different hop bills i would/have ;) opt for a simple single grain brew with MO as the grain.. and for yeast nottingham, a challenger smash @ circa 4% is a grand summer thirst quencher imho..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

jinjahbiscuit
Steady Drinker

Post by jinjahbiscuit » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:55 am

Fil wrote:working with dme and a target OG of 1044 is pretty simple as thats the gravity you get mixing up 100g of dme upto 1l of liquor.. so for a 5 gallon (23l) batch boil up 2.3kg of dme in a healthy volume of water 8-10l and when hopped to your satisfaction liquor back with cold water to 23l and to hit the pitching temp and avoid the need to chill a larger boil volume, the hop utilisation will take a theoretical hit due to the higher concentration of the boil liquor but im sure you can google a calculator to help you account for that and adjust your additions accordingly.

However if looking to distinguish between different hop bills i would/have ;) opt for a simple single grain brew with MO as the grain.. and for yeast nottingham, a challenger smash @ circa 4% is a grand summer thirst quencher imho..

That looks straight forward enough. I bought a few different hops from "A Bushel of Hops", so single grain would be a great way to go. I'll give it try.

Grindcrusher
Tippler

Post by Grindcrusher » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:03 pm

I'm now planning to mix Muntons Extra Light and Muntons Medium 50/50.

Muntons Medium has crystal malt in it, but the problem is they don't specify how much or which sort - in contrast to Briess where you get a full report. This is why I was hoping find some info on a good mix of DME.

Cheers for the tip on brewtoad but all the ones I've seen there have been with steeping.