Coconuts?!

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
monkeymullins
Steady Drinker

Coconuts?!

Post by monkeymullins » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:31 pm

Hello fellow Brewers, I'v got it into my head to make a coconut stout using coopers OS stout kit and some light/medium dried spray malt and lactose the question(s) I have however is;

1) Has anyone used coconut in a brew and how did it turn out?

2) How much coconut did you use

3) what did you use (coconut water, coconut chunks, coconut flakes, coconut sugar...)

4) lastly how did you use said coconut?

Hope some on has some advice on this one as if the stout goes well I'm also thinking in the lines of lightening the style to a pale or IPA depending how the stout goes of course.

Thanks for your time and help. Happy Brewing all!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Coconuts?!

Post by Rookie » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:49 pm

I occasionally brew a coconut wheat beer using unsweetened wide cut coconut flakes at the rate of 1/2 pound per gallon that I put into a clean carboy and rack the beer on top of it. Coconut and wheat go together real well.
I also plan to brew a coconut cider later in the month with closer to 1 pound per gallon.
If you plan on using it in a stout you'll probably want to toast it first and use more.
I'm just here for the beer.

VANDEEN

Post by VANDEEN » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:27 am

Tom, from the YouTube channel "NewToHomeBrew Tom" brewed a colaboration "Coconut Shy PA" beer with Harry from Idle Valley brewery.

Links to the brewday vids here https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... PmLdNiUPhA

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:08 am

Brewdog recipe 173 features coconut and lactose

I'm planning on toasting mine for 15 mins at around 160 degrees until golden brown then patting the oil off maybe?

Just unsure how to add it to a fv in a bag or without do they sink or not

monkeymullins
Steady Drinker

Post by monkeymullins » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:15 pm

What you planning on using sbond10, desiccated coconut or flakes?

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:23 pm

It says coconut chips so I guess flakes

monkeymullins
Steady Drinker

Post by monkeymullins » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:16 pm

Yeah same here no harm in putting them in the FV bareback your siphon just stop anything going into your keg/bottles. You brewing this now? Started mine Saturday waiting for fermentation to finish then add the coconut will let you know how it turns out. If you find any further info let me know. Happy brewing :)

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:34 pm

I won't be brewing it for a few weeks yet so ill keep an eye open on this thread