Priming

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
monkeymullins
Steady Drinker

Priming

Post by monkeymullins » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:58 pm

Quick question hope you guys can help me. I'm looking to prime a corny keg (19l) but how much priming sugar should I use and how would I go about doing this?

Beers style in question is a pale ale

What would be the process from start to finish please? Thank you for help in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Priming

Post by Fil » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:21 pm

Naturally conditioning in a corny with a priming charge is do-able but most dont bother and instead use pressure from the co2 supply to force the condition into the beer.

the cons of naturally conditioning include:

difficulty in making a lid seal without a blast of co2, especially with older kegs.

More sediment resulting in significantly more dirty beer drawn out at the beginning of the pour.

If intent on naturally conditioning, (after all it Your Brew..) https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid ... %20brewing

I would however suggest if you do naturally condition you still use a blast of co2 to create a good lid seal, as without it you will run the risk of the gradual pressure rise due to the conditioning not being sufficient to seal and you could loose all the conditioning co2.

personally i would suggest you at least consider conditioning with co2 pressure, its a lot less hassle especially if you have temp control over the kegs, simply set the target temp and pressure according to a conditioning chart, and wait a week or so ;), your beer may well still benefiot from a few weeks/months to mature, tho thats subjective ;)
http://www.kegerators.com/articles/carb ... -chart.php
iirc there is one stickied in Jims dispensing section that uses celcius temps..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:21 am

What Fil said...

BigMouth
Steady Drinker

Post by BigMouth » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:57 pm

Exactly as Fil said.

I either prime for bottles over min 3 wks or corny with co2 for a wk for a bar tap. One time I did the real ale thing for a bar tap and primed the batch in the corny just as if it were a bottling bucket but I sealed it with co2 and burped it just be sure then left to carb for 3 wks like it were a giant bottle. It was great! So the sendiment was more than if using co2 only as I second fermented it but nothing the first half pint didn't clear and so there was a little more silt in the corny at the end to rinse out, it was a great beer.

Still needed co2 on min to serve from the tap as wasn't gonna drain 19 litres in three days, I do work in the daytime. Plus my setup isn't gravity feed cask but corny up to tap.