Guidance - Super Quick and Easy extract recipe

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
CharlieMops

Guidance - Super Quick and Easy extract recipe

Post by CharlieMops » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:33 pm

Hi everyone!

First post ever here although I've read many helpful posts and browsed loadss before signing up! Im quite new to brewing (have only done a few kits and one extract brew with hops etc) I want to do one final extract brew before I go all grain!

I won't have too much time or space this time so I was wondering if someone could help me out and provide me with a quick and easy recipe for a dark/amber ale using only dried malt extract, crystal malt for steeping and hops for boiling. I want to do about 4 or 5 gallons. Also, I was wondering if there is a way to do this brew by using half the water while boiling and then quickly topping up with cold water so the wort can be cooled quicker... I really want it to be pretty much effort free this time :)

If someone could list ingredients, boil times and measurements etc that would be absolutley brilliant! :) I'll be sure to post pictures of the finished product along with a review too...

Thank you so much in advance!

CharlieMops!

CharlieMops

Re: Guidance - Super Quick and Easy extract recipe

Post by CharlieMops » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:54 pm

Hi all,

Slight modification. I want to actually do about 10litres in total. The whole gallons and litres thing is driving me nuts!

Would it be possible to boil everything using about 4 to 5litres of water then put everything in the fermenting bucket and top up with an extra 5litres of cold water? I really want to know if this is possible.

Thank you so much everyone!

CharlieMops

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:55 am

I don't want to sound too hard but it seems that you want to brew without any effort. To brew god beer takes time and you certainly need to know the difference between gallons, both US and English and litres. If not you will have to stick to beer from Lidl.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

OldConkerwood

Post by OldConkerwood » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:29 pm

Hi Charlie, I recently started up again after a few years-straight back to extract.
My Boil is 9ltrs topped up to 20ltrs, try to make the boil as bigger a percentage of the total volume as you can.
There's a good book(British Real Ale) by Graham Wheeler which has some great brewer clone recipes for extract and all grain, with sections on adjusting weights for different hops etc.
Barnie.