Extract for hefeweizen

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
MrN
Steady Drinker

Extract for hefeweizen

Post by MrN » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:41 pm

I'm planning on doing an all extract hefeweizen soon (100% wheat extract with wlp300) as it seems a great candidate for an easy all extract brew.

Has anyone had any experience doing something similar? What extract would you recommend? Dry/liquid, which brand?

I'm drawn to the briess wheat lme as I hear it's good quality but less easy to get hold of and lme in general is more expensive, would I get as good results just using some wheat spraymalt?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

flars

Re: Extract for hefeweizen

Post by flars » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:40 pm

Long time reader. Thought I would participate for this question. The Bavarian Hefeweizen is one of my favorite brews. My preference for yeast is WY 3068. I pitch high and ferment low to enhance the clove flavor over the banana. This is a link to the all extract Hefe I brew.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documenta ... weizen.pdf

I used WB-06 the last time I brewed. I may have under pitched and definitely under carbed. Just didn't have the flavors when fermented with WY 3068.

sandimas
Steady Drinker

Re: Extract for hefeweizen

Post by sandimas » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:30 pm

I've made an extract hefeweizen in the past several times with wheat dme/spraymalt. Turned out great, can't remember the brand of DME I used, maybe Youngs?

I used WLP300 the 2nd time, but the 1st time I used Danstar Munich dried yeast - think I actually preferred this.