Out of date LME

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
spook100
Piss Artist

Out of date LME

Post by spook100 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:53 pm

Clearing out my brewing cupboard I came across several litres on light LME that is about two years out of date. It is in a container that has been opened and is half empty but I can't see anything growing on it. Googling suggests that aged LME gives a caramel and melanoidin character to the beer so I thought that I might chuck it in with some speciality grains and make a barleywine rather than throw it away. Don't want to waste my time if it's going to come out rank though! Is it worth it?
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

McMullan

Re: Out of date LME

Post by McMullan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:01 pm

LME reminds me of 'soup' of some kind, at the best of times. I'd sling it down the bottom of the garden. On a compost heap maybe?

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:10 pm

If it’s been opened and out of date it’s probably fubar.

However, the experimental side of me would brew it up with whatever old hops I have that need using up and some dried yeast. You’re not going to be much out of pocket that way if it turns out crap.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:16 pm

HTH1975 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:10 pm
If it’s been opened and out of date it’s probably fubar.

However, the experimental side of me would brew it up with whatever old hops I have that need using up and some dried yeast. You’re not going to be much out of pocket that way if it turns out crap.
Me too.
I'm just here for the beer.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:08 pm

Bit late replying, but beer is beer when times are hard. Good or bad..I’m not the person throw or chuck just cos of a bbe date.. anyhow, I’d use it in what ever I was brewing as a use it up thing, but I would make sure it gets to a boiling point.. just to kill off any clingers.
To Busy To Add,

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:21 pm

I mixed up a little of this in half a litre of boiling water and it tasted, smelled and looked like wort so decided to give it a go.

I had 9kg of the stuff so made a 26 litre batch of barley wine with 100g for chocolate malt and a bunch of spare hops that I had in the freezer. Came out at an OG of 1.102 and the wort tasted quite good. Pitched straight on to a full yeast cake from an ESB that has just come out of the fermenter.

It's in the fermenter now and, fingers crossed, I'll have a decent batch of free barleywine in a few months.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:41 pm

The only time I ever used out of date lme was when I was given a can of MrBeer stout extract. It wasn't enough to make a batch so I tossed it into a RIS I was brewing to boost the O G s bit.
I'm just here for the beer.

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:55 am

This took over three weeks to ferment out so have just racked it out of the fermenter. FG is 1.032 and it tastes ok - quite smooth actually. A few months of conditioning in the barrel will should produce something drinkable.

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:55 pm

I had a little sample of this again over the weekend and it is turning into a really nice beer, one of the best I've made. It's *really* smooth and the alcohol flavour is strong but not harsh. It's quite reminiscent of a smooth malt whiskey. The other half say it should be called "whiskey beer," not "barley wine". I know what I'll be using old LME for in future :)