Help! Fermentation stopped after 3 days

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Bazz
Piss Artist

Help! Fermentation stopped after 3 days

Post by Bazz » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:47 pm

As per the title, I had a good O.G. I made a yeast starter and the yeast was pretty lively, pitched and fermentation started but has now stopped. Is it worth trying to get it going again or is it time to ditch it and start again? :(

Thanks.

Fuggley Duckling

Re: Help! Fermentation stopped after 3 days

Post by Fuggley Duckling » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:48 pm

Check the temperature of your wort, is it possible it has dropped too low for your chosen strain of yeast? Give the fermenter a gentle swirl to rouse some of the yeast back into suspension. Also it's worth remembering that just because the vigorous stage of fermentation has passed doesn't mean your yeast has stopped doing its job, they will still be chomping their way through sugars even when there is no longer any airlock movement and the krausen has settled back down. Take a gravity reading, then again in a few days to see if it has actually stopped or if it's just slowing down.

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:03 pm

Thanks for the tip, the temp thing is what I was thinking, i don't have a warming belt for my fv and whilst our house isn't freezing we do like it cooler than some.

Btw what is the krausen? Is that the frothy yeasty top?

bob3000

Post by bob3000 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:21 pm

It might have done it's job and finished. What's the FG?

Dave-Leeds

Post by Dave-Leeds » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:34 pm

Wrap a quit around it if yiu struggle with tenps. You should buy a heat belt or immersion heater for future and now its cold they would be ideal. I have 2 immersion heaters and think their spot on.

as for your brew i would keep it warm best you can and leave it for 2 weeks just because you see no activity dosnt mean its finished as said in other post

Fuggley Duckling

Post by Fuggley Duckling » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:49 pm

Bazz wrote:Thanks for the tip, the temp thing is what I was thinking, i don't have a warming belt for my fv and whilst our house isn't freezing we do like it cooler than some.

Btw what is the krausen? Is that the frothy yeasty top?
Yep, krausen is the frothy yeasty top :)

During winter months I put my fermenter in a big 50L bucket of water with an aquarium heater, works a treat and both bucket and heater only cost NZ$35 (£17ish).

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:12 pm

The only way to know how the fermentation is progressing is by taking a gravity reading. Lack of airlock activity or krausen mean nothing.

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:19 pm

Right then, after forgetting my local home brew shop was shut until next week i finally acquired a trial jar and have taken a gravity reading at 1.012. So fermentation has happened to some degree, OG was 1.058 will hopefully be ready to put into the barrel on Sunday.

Couple more questions,

There appear to be some bits of something in suspension in the brew not sinking or rising, will this result in a bitty end product?

How much sugar should i put into tthe barrel when i put it in (there is 15 litres of beer in the FV)?

Thanks.

spanspoon

Post by spanspoon » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:00 pm

Bazz wrote:Right then, after forgetting my local home brew shop was shut until next week i finally acquired a trial jar and have taken a gravity reading at 1.012. So fermentation has happened to some degree, OG was 1.058 will hopefully be ready to put into the barrel on Sunday.

Couple more questions,

There appear to be some bits of something in suspension in the brew not sinking or rising, will this result in a bitty end product?

How much sugar should i put into tthe barrel when i put it in (there is 15 litres of beer in the FV)?

Thanks.
if you have a shed or garage then stick the fv in there for a few days to crash cool it, any proteins will sink which result in a cleaner end product. if you can't do this i wouldn't worry as any larger bits are not likely to be drawn through when bottling and even if it did it'd just taste of beer.