Boiler

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
greengrass

Boiler

Post by greengrass » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:05 pm

Hi I have just got hold of an old Burco 10 Gallon boiler, I assume it will be ok for BIAB brewing. Has anyone else used one of these. I have been brewing kits for donkeys years, but now I have time and space to have a go at AG. And I am going to start with BIAB, is there much difference in the quality of beer with BIAB as opposed to kits?.
Thanks.
GG.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Boiler

Post by Fil » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:00 am

its the perfect off the shelf Biab boiler congrats..

Depending on age you may need to hack the electrical protection if its got any ;) 'modern' boilers are not expected to boil, and can have temperature cut outs and thermal fuses.
If fitted the former may be an issue as a brew can boil at 110+c (depending on the gravity), the latter is a boil dry protection so shouldnt be an issue.

a test boil is a good idea if you can sustain a violent rolling boil with just water you should be OK, if the thing struggles wrap it up to stop it radiating heat of its shiny metal body ;), but if it cuts out your best checking it out. the thermal cut outs are simple thermal switches (NC) with a temp ratting so can be bypassed or replaced with one with a higher temp rating 140c for example..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4PCS-KSD301-1 ... AOSwnNBXYk~~
(I am no electrician, so if in doubt seek professional advice, or post pics in here for guidance..)

as an ag brewer I would say Yes an AG brew has significantly more potential to wow than a basic kit, mine always sup sweeter at least.

just dont aim for a 10gallon brew in a 10 gallon burco. fwiw my #1 ag brew was in a 5 gallon burco and i tried to fit a 5 gallon brew in it :( the result turned out better than i could hope for but the mess the overboil, splashes n spills of hot sticky wort got my brewing banished from the house for LIFE!!
( after years of patio brewing i finally sorted out a brewshed so alls well that ends well..)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

greengrass

Post by greengrass » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:23 am

Thanks for that Fil, The boiler that I have got is one of the white ones, and I am told that it will boil 10 Gal of water but I am yet to try it, only just got it. I also have the 5 Gallon version and that will boil 5 Gal no problem. I am really looking forward to BIAB brewing although I have to do the no chill method as using a chiller is going to be a right pain, I was banished to the shed years ago, whit the cry from the wife (What is that bloody stink) my reply was the smell of the Gods (it was hops).

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:23 pm

In my experience BIAB produces vastly better beer than kits. If you get the BIABacus spreadsheet it will help you calculate all your volumes etc.

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:52 pm

BIAB is great. If you get any issues in your first couple of brews don't give up. It sometimes takes a while to get the consistency you are after :-)

bigchris
Piss Artist

Post by bigchris » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:51 am

That sounds like a good find. A 10 gallon Burco will be just great and by making your own wort, you'll get so much better beer than the kits. For a few years I only brewed from kits, passable beers but nothing special, that my mates would look forward to trying. My first brew from the grain was so much better.

greengrass

Post by greengrass » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:28 pm

Thanks Chris, looking forward to getting the rest of the kit together and giving it a go.