Test/Trial Volunteers

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
jinjahbiscuit
Steady Drinker

Re: Test/Trial Volunteers

Post by jinjahbiscuit » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:07 pm

Hi,
The present vessel is a large aluminium cook pot of approximately 60ltrs, though I have a couple of 100ltr stainless vessels that will eventually be used.
I've not bought an(y) element(s) yet as I've not really much idea what will be required, I guess about 2.5 - 3KW? Any advice?
As for temperature probes, yes it's possible to drill either of the vessels I decide to use, I have suitable step drills, but again I would appreciate any advice as to which type of probe to install.
I do have a pump for recirculation / cooling and transfer.
I'm really sort of at the beginning stage of getting more "technical"!
Thanks.

EINBREW
Steady Drinker

Post by EINBREW » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:38 pm

I'd always recommend using an element of just below the maximum 'legal' you can for your region, for example here in the UK that would be about 2.8/2.9kW. The PT100 probes we have are 1/4" BSP thread, so the hole is about 13mm diameter. I'll contact you by PM.
Developer, manufacturer and stockist of state-of-the-art homebrewing products, controllers, all in one All-Grain systems. Homebrewer as well!

jinjahbiscuit
Steady Drinker

Post by jinjahbiscuit » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:20 pm

Thanks, much appreciated.

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:46 pm

I'd always recommend using an element of just below the maximum 'legal' you can for your region, for example here in the UK that would be about 2.8/2.9kW
What law would that be ?
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

jaroporter
Under the Table

Post by jaroporter » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:56 pm

EINBREW wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:38 pm
I'd always recommend using an element of just below the maximum 'legal' you can for your region, for example here in the UK that would be about 2.8/2.9kW.
eh?

i'm speculating that you may mean something else cause legal is definitely the wrong choice of word there?
dazzled, doused in gin..

jinjahbiscuit
Steady Drinker

Post by jinjahbiscuit » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:38 pm

I imagine he's considering compliance with local / national regulations. Which of course you must do, just like anywhere else.

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:12 pm

I imagine he's considering compliance with local / national regulations.
But there are no statutory regulations limiting elements to 2.9kw,if that was the case my 8kw shower would be illegal.
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

EINBREW
Steady Drinker

Post by EINBREW » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:29 am

themadhippy wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:46 pm
I'd always recommend using an element of just below the maximum 'legal' you can for your region, for example here in the UK that would be about 2.8/2.9kW
What law would that be ?
Guys,..... you know exactly what I meant by 'legal' <quote> legal <quote>.

Please resist the urge to nit pick. Rather than heckle a string of a few words, why not take the time and offer more, is that too much trouble,... build up rather than tear down. All you do is drive people away from the forum.

To be clear, I am referring to 13A maximum load for plug/socket combination, BS1363. The comment was in the context of our product, the 1V1P BIAB controllers, which uses a standard plug to connect to the mains supply, therefore limited to 3kW/13A, for which we are seeking volunteers to try.

OK, i did not word it particularly well, sorry.
Developer, manufacturer and stockist of state-of-the-art homebrewing products, controllers, all in one All-Grain systems. Homebrewer as well!

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Test/Trial Volunteers

Post by dbambrick996 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:20 pm

My system is modeled on the brew easy system

It is a two vessel rims system.
I use a 3kw element in a 50 litre, bottom drain, thermo pot with a 33 litre pot mash tun and a Chugger for recirculating. I usually do 23 litre batches.

I also have a malt pipe to use the system as a single vessel system similar to the grainfather.

I currently have an ardbir controller. My temp probe is mounted internally.

All connections are 1/2 bsp including the temp probe.

I would be very interested in testing your controller

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:29 pm

Hi

I found the pt100, it has 3 wires, 2 are red and one is white.

I want to mount the probe into a tee with a quick disconnect and attach it to the kettle output. This goes to the pump and then to the tun.

EINBREW
Steady Drinker

Post by EINBREW » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:32 am

When it comes to the boil, how does the probe know the temp, do you keep the pump running?

Our 1V1P controller also controls the boil, it has a feature called 'boil detect', where it measures the temp in the BK and when it detects boil it ramps the power down to maintain a simmer, it then alarms for you to know and it starts the hop timers. Because of this, it is important to know the temp in the BK. I think it would be important for you to mount the probe in the BK, so it can measure the temp when boiling.

If you can mount it in the BK, then you want to mount it near the inflow from the MT, so when you are at the earlier mashing stage, it can accurately control the temp of the mash steps.

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:37 am

That’s a great feature, I can mount the probe internally, which I prefer, and replace the current 1/2” probe, see below

EINBREW
Steady Drinker

Post by EINBREW » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:03 pm

Haydnexport wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:05 pm
I've got a braumeister copy running on a smartpid at the moment. The vessel is a 50l bergland pot, it has a 3kw heating element , a stubby thermowell inside the grainbasket area with a ds18b20 sensor , a march 815 pump recirculating . The only holes i have in the walls are 21mm for tap's etc. Typical volume is 20- 25 l
Can you send me a pic of the temp probe (thremowell) position in the BM clone, see if we have a PT100 to replace for the trial.

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:52 pm

Here's the location of the thermowell, and one that's not fitted, it has a 1/4 bsp fitting that the cable glad is screwed in.
IMAG0205.jpg
IMAG0206.jpg

BrewDorg
Sober

Post by BrewDorg » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:56 pm

Would be willing to install and trial on my ACE/Hopcat/Klarstein microbrewery if possible?

Return to “Brew in a Bag Questions and Answers”