Apartment style BIAB with Pics

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Shrunken Reaper

Re: Apartment style BIAB with Pics

Post by Shrunken Reaper » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Fantastic Info and great pics there matey

potatoes
Hollow Legs

Post by potatoes » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:52 pm

Thanks Reaper, I saw that you asked a few questions in another post. Are they answered here or do you still have some more?

Dan

Shrunken Reaper

Post by Shrunken Reaper » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:47 am

A good few of them are answered by this, cheers potatoes :)

I'm now thinking about the wisdom of doing a double-boil/sparge (ie 2 loads of 14 litres) to get gravity and brew length into harmony... obviously time-consuming, but I'm now wondering whether this would work? If you can be bothered with it, of course - and what kind of efficiency would you likely get from that, I wonder?

potatoes
Hollow Legs

Post by potatoes » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:09 pm

Shrunken Reaper wrote:A good few of them are answered by this, cheers potatoes :)

I'm now thinking about the wisdom of doing a double-boil/sparge (ie 2 loads of 14 litres) to get gravity and brew length into harmony... obviously time-consuming, but I'm now wondering whether this would work? If you can be bothered with it, of course - and what kind of efficiency would you likely get from that, I wonder?
Are you doing a double- boil/sparge with two pots at the same time? Or are you doing it 1 pot, but repeating it? If doing two pots at the same time, it shouldnt be a problem. Only, you wont be able to put two pots in the oven, so will have to wrap them up for the mash. Also, I think there is a member on jims called Barl_fire who has done this on a couple of occassions.

If you are doing one pot, but repeating the process it makes for a very long brew day. You might as well try two different brews to see which one you like more.

I think if you havent tried BIAB yet, keep it simple. Give it a go with 1 load of 14litres. If you like the results and the process, then look to improve your set up with a bigger pot and a gas burner. If you think its too much work for the results, stick to kit beer.

Does that help?

Dan

Shrunken Reaper

Post by Shrunken Reaper » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Yeah, cheers matey

There's not a chance I'm sticking to kits... I'm far too much of a control-freak perfectionist for that caper, but I'll try a 14l and see what that gets me, I reckon i'm better off doing that and then at worst all i've done is spent money on a little stockpot that I can use to heat some mash water in future :)

That being said, I need to find myself a decent source of fermentables first

basswulf
Piss Artist

Post by basswulf » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:00 pm

potatoes wrote:How did you transfer the Hot wort to the Jerry Can?
I've got a metal jam funnel (similar to this one) and it fits in the neck of the jerry can. Working in the (sanitised) kitchen sink to avoid spills causing problems, I transfer some of the boiled wort with a sanitised plastic jug and, once there's enough moved to keep the jerry can stable and reduce the amount in the pot, carefully pour the rest directly.

When the jerry can is capped up, I'll use a towel to protect myself and roll it round to spread the hot liquid (no longer boiling but still at potentially scalding temperatures) round the interior of the jerry can (which was earlier santised and rinsed - this step is a way of blasting out any lurking nasties). Typically it will have swollen up a bit by this point, so I'll release a little bit of the pressure before screwing the lid on tight again - not too much because it will contract back as the liquid cools.

Wulf