Anyone else here doing Brew in a Bag BIAB?

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
delboy

Re: Anyone else here doing Brew in a Bag BIAB?

Post by delboy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:29 pm

A very interesting technique, i may give it a whirl sometime, anything that saves times and cleaning is a big positive in my book.
I read also somewhere that efficency can be increased by milling the grain finer than you would for traditional sparging techniques.

Invalid Stout

Post by Invalid Stout » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:05 pm

delboy wrote:A very interesting technique, i may give it a whirl sometime, anything that saves times and cleaning is a big positive in my book.
I read also somewhere that efficency can be increased by milling the grain finer than you would for traditional sparging techniques.
Absolutely, I was at a brewery a few months back where they use mash filters (i.e. BIAB scaled up) and their grist is like very coarse flour.

art.b

Post by art.b » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:32 pm

ive been following this thread,with interest,
and ive gone and bought a 60 litre stock pot and will be obtaining other hardware soon.... 8)

danbrew

Post by danbrew » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:05 am

Dragging this one back up again...

I have done two of these so far with one success and one fail. No idea where I went wrong with the first and have settled on it being the recipe (82% Maris Otter, 9% Crystal, 9% Dark Crystal) because it tasted rank. Have to confess I'm not sure how tannins would taste in a beer so couldn't say if it was the process or recipe for definate...

Second was a wheat beer (50% MO, 50% Wheat Malt) and tbh it's cracking. I haven't got the estery yeast profile but that's down to fermentation temp. Nothing wrong with this one though.

I'll be doing another one with the Dark Crystal soon.

Spud395

Post by Spud395 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:55 am

That could be down to 18% crystal, thats very high, reccomended 10% max for crystal malts as far as I know.

danbrew

Post by danbrew » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:30 pm

Spud395 wrote:That could be down to 18% crystal, thats very high, reccomended 10% max for crystal malts as far as I know.
Yes I'd seen a guideline somewhere saying no more than 20% but I won't be going above 10 in future...

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:32 pm

I'm just sampling a GW Caledonian Porter with a slight variation in that I added some home made candi sugar to make up for using Windsor yeast, it's turned out at 4% and is a very tasty beer.
With regard to tannin extraction, you won't have that from the bag process, that's down to temperature and pH.

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:54 am

There is an older idea about that squeezing the bag extracts tannins but this has been pretty much discounted.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/do-you- ... ab-177051/

danbrew

Post by danbrew » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:28 pm

Just to qualify my earlier comment in this 'Anyone else doing brew in a bag' thread.

I had another taste of my failed batch to see if I could detect a tanniny mouthfeel...

I compared this against three other comparisons. A cup of hot stewed tea. A glass of red wine. A glass of homemade cider which has wine tannin added according to instructions. This was a side by side comparison of four different drinks.

There is no tannin in my failed batch.

danbrew

Post by danbrew » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:18 pm

Chris-x1 wrote:10% crystal is not strictly a problem in a recipe.
My recipe was 18% so I'm fairly sure I over did it.

delboy

Post by delboy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:16 pm

beerkiss wrote:
Chris-x1 wrote:10% crystal is not strictly a problem in a recipe.
My recipe was 18% so I'm fairly sure I over did it.
I've gone up to 20 % and still made great beer, although taste is by its nature subjective.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:26 pm

The original Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Stout was 75% Pale 25% Crystal for a gravity of 1.058 . . . and certainly not flawed

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:42 pm

I've tried my best to get rid of the exchange of insults without spoiling the flow, but it wasn't easy.

Hopefully the thread will still make enough sense to be useful.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

danbrew

Post by danbrew » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:01 pm

Yes, I used Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby as a guide for 18% Crystal being ok...

Maybe it wasn't the recipe. I'm not bothered now anyway as it's gone down the drain.

Spud395

Post by Spud395 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:13 pm

Well there you go you learn something every day.
Any special precedures if you're using huge amounts of crystal?