Apartment style BIAB with Pics

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
potatoes
Hollow Legs

Apartment style BIAB with Pics

Post by potatoes » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:48 am

I thought I would put up a couple of pics of my apartment BIAB style to hopefully encourage those who want to try BIAB but don’t have much space. The pictures are actually from two different brews in two different flats but the same principle is used.

First, I start with an 11 litre stock pot, bring water up to strike temp (71c) and then attach the Voiles with my belt.

After this its time add the grains. These get a good stir to ensure there are no lumps and water is added to get mash temp of 65c.

To ensure an even mash temp I put the whole thing in the oven which is set at 65c.

Whilst the mash is going on, I steep grains which don’t require mashing. This water is then used for the sparge.

My sparge step involves using this sieve which fits on top of my put kettle.

I put the bag of grains on top of the sieve, and then put this on top of the stock pot. I then gently pour the sparge water over it. I do this a couple of times into two pots so I end up with about 12 litres of wort. I use the spare wort to top up stock pot whilst the boil is going on.

Then I bring it to the boil.

After this, I cool it and then pour the wort through some sterilised voiles which I have attached to the FV. I don’t have picture of that part but you can work out how to do it. Here is the fermentation.

This is only a 10 litre batch. My most recent BIAB I chucked in a bit of dried malt extract to up it to a 15 litre batch. I would like to show a picture of the finished product but I drunk all of it. :mrgreen:

Thoughts or suggestions welcomed!
Last edited by potatoes on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

EoinMag

Re: Apartment style BIAB with Pics

Post by EoinMag » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:52 am

Hmm I can't see any of your pics.

potatoes
Hollow Legs

Post by potatoes » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:00 pm

EoinMag wrote:Hmm I can't see any of your pics.
Having a couple of problems with that now. Will try to edit...

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:08 pm

Its no biggie, some of the URLS are for the page rather than the image, thats all - see below (EDIT: removed now original post working) . Nice Post - looks excellent!
I may try something like this for making big starters..

Cheers
Kev
Last edited by Kev888 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kev

potatoes
Hollow Legs

Post by potatoes » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:18 pm

Cheers, Kev got the pics sorted now. Used the photo bucket rather than flickr.

jimp2003

Post by jimp2003 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:32 pm

Thats quite an inspiring post potatoes - very nice indeed! =D> =D>

Just goes to show that going all-grain really can be that simple and does not have to cost an arm and a leg.

Cheers

Jim

potatoes
Hollow Legs

Post by potatoes » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:30 pm

Cheers Jim, I learnt most of the methods from www.Biabrewer.info but made a couple adjustments to suit my limited space.

jimp2003

Post by jimp2003 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:18 pm

Yeah I used the info on that site too. In fact I still use the spreadsheets from there to calculate my brew day info as I find that details such as water lost to hops etc is more accurate than using Brewmate or the other free software packages.

Yeasty Rob

Post by Yeasty Rob » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:16 pm

Nice post, I use a very similar method with good results :)

super_simian
Piss Artist

Post by super_simian » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:10 am

I like the idea of separately steeping specialty malts - I had never thought of that. So choc/RB/cara/crystal all go in the sparge pot?

potatoes
Hollow Legs

Post by potatoes » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:33 am

super_simian wrote:I like the idea of separately steeping specialty malts - I had never thought of that. So choc/RB/cara/crystal all go in the sparge pot?
Thats what I do. I give all thanks to a tip from a guy on jims. Space is very limited with my homebrew and this lets me stretch it a little further. :=P

Cheers, dan

BrotherLogic

Post by BrotherLogic » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:34 pm

Do you have any problems with excessive trub? I BIAB in a picnic cooler and then transfer to the kettle but I'm finding that I have masses of trub in the fermenter and I'm not quite sure about the best way to remove it.

basswulf
Piss Artist

Post by basswulf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:48 pm

I've done something similar. I don't have a way to quickly cool things but I do have 10l food-grade plastic jerry can, so I made sure that was clean and transferred the hot wort in there overnight. The next day, I siphoned it into my fermenting vessel and added the yeast. There was a lot of trub left in the can, so it does reduce volume (a bit of a challenge when you are working to a fairly short length brew in the first place) but did mean there wasn't so much debris filling up the bottom of the fermenter for the next stage.

I'm not sure if that was necessary (although the resulting beer was certainly pleasing) but I had to cool it anyway so I don't think it hurt.

Wulf

potatoes
Hollow Legs

Post by potatoes » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:32 am

BrotherLogic wrote:Do you have any problems with excessive trub? I BIAB in a picnic cooler and then transfer to the kettle but I'm finding that I have masses of trub in the fermenter and I'm not quite sure about the best way to remove it.
Hi Brother,

I do notice a bit of stuff in the bottom of the fermenter. I think this might be trub, or break or something else but am not sure. In general, I believe this one of the downfalls of BIAB. Other forms of AG, especially fly sparge, the grains kind of filter this out. So it doesnt get transferred into the pot when the boil occurs.

To reduce, but not elminate the trub I steralise the 'bag', then attach it to the top of the FV, then pour the wort through it. (Thanks to SoupDragon for this tip) Also, I rack to a secondary fermenter after 5-7 days, leaving 95% of it behind. I havent noticed that it has influenced the taste of my beer. Others might have more comments. Have you notices a big problem? Do you have a tap on your picnic cooler?

Dan

potatoes
Hollow Legs

Post by potatoes » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:49 am

basswulf wrote:I've done something similar. I don't have a way to quickly cool things but I do have 10l food-grade plastic jerry can, so I made sure that was clean and transferred the hot wort in there overnight. The next day, I siphoned it into my fermenting vessel and added the yeast. There was a lot of trub left in the can, so it does reduce volume (a bit of a challenge when you are working to a fairly short length brew in the first place) but did mean there wasn't so much debris filling up the bottom of the fermenter for the next stage.

I'm not sure if that was necessary (although the resulting beer was certainly pleasing) but I had to cool it anyway so I don't think it hurt.

Wulf
Its a good idea Wulf. =D> =D> How did you transfer the Hot wort to the Jerry Can? I dont have a tap on my pot and I think that siphoning it might not be the best idea with a rubber hose. I agree that loss of wort to debris and to sediment is a problem with making 10 litre batches...