biab bag

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
whitstella

biab bag

Post by whitstella » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi

I'm after a bag for my first attempt at biab. I've got a 70l pot with 2 elements in and I'm just making a plate to go over the elements to stop the bag touching them. What bag size do I need looking to brew for 2 cornys at a time..?

Cheers Steve

And any good pale ale recipes would be great.

Lars

Re: biab bag

Post by Lars » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:43 pm

If you're making or buying a custom bag a good rule of thumb is that the pot should just fit in the bag

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:41 pm

I bought 2M of 180cm drop voile net curtain from Dunelm for a fiver for my 70L boiler.

I never bothered sewing it into a bag. Instead I just tie it around the rim with rope (during the first mash I trimmed off some excess). When I want to lift the grain I gather the edges up and tie closed with rope.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:12 pm

I bought a bag from EoinMag on this site.

To protect it from the elements, I use a perforated tin pizza tray.
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

subfaction
Hollow Legs

Post by subfaction » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:27 pm

+1
although a sheet of voile is handy to have as extra insurance for really large grain bills.

deanrpwaacs
Piss Artist

Post by deanrpwaacs » Tue May 21, 2013 12:39 pm

subfaction wrote:
+1
although a sheet of voile is handy to have as extra insurance for really large grain bills.
I learnt the hard way with one of the custom bags at the w/end 8kg of grain and the bag gave up after i had pulled it and squeezed . I must say i have had the bag a long time and dome alot of brews with it .
Is EoinMag still trading as i sent an email but had no reply . I would like to order a new bag .
Dean .
Drinking ,Arrogant Bsteward,Black Wit,Cream Rye Stout,
Conditioning,Tally Ho,Spitfire
In the FV,Nowt
In the cube,Nowt
Coming up ,Old Spec Hen,Red IPA,Mega Hop Thing,Larkins Chidingstone,maybe a venture into Lager.
Love hops drink beer have a look here http://uk.ebid.net/items/ramengltddean

domejunky
Steady Drinker

Post by domejunky » Tue May 21, 2013 5:07 pm

I made my own but took a different route. I didn't like the idea of having joins where the weight of the grain would be - so I bought a bungy cord from the pound shop. Bought an offcut of net curtain from a fabric shop to this formula:

(My Pot Radius + My Pot Height) * 2

This gave me enough material to cut a circle (marker pen + bit of string + heavy ornament in centre) - I then put a big, maybe 2", hem on it with a sewing machine, and thread the bungy through this...

I've done 50-60 brews with it, up to 6kg grain bill.

I did learn recently that I'd chose quite a course mesh though. I was trying to get the bottom of having loads of hot/cold break, and always leaving 4-5 litres in the kettle. I experimented with sticking my IC into a fermenting bucket, and draining the kettle hot (but settled) - I had huge amounts of hot break. Once cooled, the fermenter only had a bit of cold break. I went and found some finer net curtain, made another bag, and trub issues went away...

I photographed the different meshes:

Pete

Yettiman

Post by Yettiman » Wed May 22, 2013 9:24 pm

Got the wife to make me two, cost about £7.00 for two,

Cut two circles based on about 1" over the lid size to allow for a re enforced seam

Folded a 3" strip over 3 times, and sewed it in to a strap crossed at the bottom of the tube (stuff sack style).

Really strong, and the straps take all the weight, all for £3.50 a bag :)

simco999

Post by simco999 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:16 pm

I would recommend using two bags as one bag with enough grain for 40l is going to be very heavy.

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Thu May 23, 2013 5:02 pm

deanrpwaacs wrote:
subfaction wrote:
+1
I learnt the hard way with one of the custom bags at the w/end 8kg of grain and the bag gave up after i had pulled it and squeezed . I must say i have had the bag a long time and dome alot of brews with it .
Is EoinMag still trading as i sent an email but had no reply . I would like to order a new bag .
Dean .

Hi Dean, out of interest, was this one of the bags with the loops or one of the earlier ones without loops?

The reason I ask is that this is the first failure I've heard of.

Eoin

deanrpwaacs
Piss Artist

Post by deanrpwaacs » Fri May 24, 2013 10:51 am

With the yellow loops.It is my own fault as over time the catches on the thermo pot lid have put small nicks in the material as it hangs over and with 8.5kg of wet grain i was pushing it.
The bag has been great and i should have been more careful.
Regards Dean.
Drinking ,Arrogant Bsteward,Black Wit,Cream Rye Stout,
Conditioning,Tally Ho,Spitfire
In the FV,Nowt
In the cube,Nowt
Coming up ,Old Spec Hen,Red IPA,Mega Hop Thing,Larkins Chidingstone,maybe a venture into Lager.
Love hops drink beer have a look here http://uk.ebid.net/items/ramengltddean

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Fri May 24, 2013 11:57 am

deanrpwaacs wrote:With the yellow loops.It is my own fault as over time the catches on the thermo pot lid have put small nicks in the material as it hangs over and with 8.5kg of wet grain i was pushing it.
The bag has been great and i should have been more careful.
Regards Dean.

OK cool, don't worry, I didn't see your original post as being negative towards the work, I was more curious if it was something we needed to address when we start back up. I don't ever want anyone to get hurt from the product if it's something we can avoid, whilst accepting that accidents can happen, I'd like them not be of our making :)

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Fri May 24, 2013 11:58 am

One other point was that 8.5KG of grain is about half what I've had in my bag so it seemed very light for a failure :)

Purdster

Post by Purdster » Fri May 24, 2013 2:34 pm

Any news of when you'll be starting up again EoinMag?

I've just upgraded from a 30 litre biab to a 100 litre gas powered biab set up :D Need a decent bag to fit the new pot.

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Fri May 24, 2013 2:47 pm

I'm getting the wife on it now, but the reality is that we are working to the schedule of a breastfeeding 4 month old and the wife is simply not getting a lot of sleep.