home brew book

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Dave-Leeds

home brew book

Post by Dave-Leeds » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:52 pm

Has any1 brewed any recipes from home brew beer book by greg hughes???

some of the recipes have around 200g of hops lile the way to amorillo 1
is this ok or does this seem a bit 2 steep with all the hops.

Think am goi g to give a few a try with biab
Cheers
dave

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Re: home brew book

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:57 pm

I haven't brewed any of them and don't have the book but 200g of Amarillo in a brew sounds good to me.

Dave-Leeds

Post by Dave-Leeds » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:01 pm

Cool. Think ill try amorrilo 1st.done the extract version and was a great pint

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:41 am

A lot of the hops will be added late. This means they add loads of flavour and aroma but not much bitterness. Lush.

sine_nomine

Post by sine_nomine » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:38 am

I've been brewing a series of single hop beers according to Greg's recipes in Home Brew Beers. I brew 12 litres (a case of 24 bottles) at a time, once every two weeks, reducing the volume of grains and hops accordingly. I'm now consuming the first batch, an Amarillo Single Hop Beer. I'm very pleased with the resulting taste. It's not too hoppy so I may well increase the late hop additions next time as I prefer a hoppy beer.
In my view Greg's book is an excellent replacement for Graham Wheeler's BYO British Real Ale. It's beautifully produced in full colour with easy to follow steps that even we idiots can follow, with dozens of recipes which mirror some of the excellent modern beers available now from Craft Breweries. Also it contains lots of additional information useful for home brewers — certainly excellent value for money.

Dave-Leeds

Post by Dave-Leeds » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:33 am

Yeah i think his book is very well set out and some good looking brews carnt decide which to brew next

hoggyafc

Post by hoggyafc » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:34 pm

I just got this book and it does have some pretty good looking recipes. I'm thinking I'll try to bust one out next weekend.

I've also got the Homebrew Handbook by Dave Law and Belshie Grimes - Would anyone rate the recipes in there over the ones in the Greg Hughes book?

Dave-Leeds

Post by Dave-Leeds » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:35 pm

Let me know how u get on when u get round to brewing one

i havnt had chance yet due to work but got few days off soon so plan on brewing a few of them

hoggyafc

Post by hoggyafc » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:24 pm

Good evening

I made the Abbey Ale from the Homebrew Handbook.

I made a 10 litre batch.

I replaced the hops with Summer hops and Bobek on the recommendation of the chap in the homebrew shop and used Mangrove Jacks Belgian Ale Yeast instead of the expensive yeast they suggested.

I put the recipe into Brewmate (free software, you can download it) and it said it would have alcohol of about 5%. When I took the readings it seemed to be around 7%.

I cracked one open today, after only 3 weeks in the bottles (I couldn't wait any longer), and I've got to say its a pretty good tasting beer. It's got that unmistakable Belgian thing going on.

Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with it.

I'm thinking about maybe doing the 80 or the Milk Stout from the Greg Hughes book next.

I've knocked out two BIABs now and they've both turned out well. It's the way forward!!

Nigel1969

Post by Nigel1969 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:22 pm

I've brewed the Cornish Tin Miners, and the Imperial IPA. Both came out excellent. Tomorrow I'll be brewing the London Bitter.

hoggyafc

Post by hoggyafc » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:59 pm

I'm on holiday next week so I'm going to have a blast at a half batch of Elderflower Ale and a half batch of Dry Stout from the Greg Hughes book.

I'll keep you posted.

Dave-Leeds

Post by Dave-Leeds » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:28 am

Hope all goes well hoggy.

av got day off on friday so going to brew 60 min ipa.one for the hop heads

roll on friday

chris172
Piss Artist

Post by chris172 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:39 am

quite tempted to buy this book... £4.99 from The Book People be worth it for the recipes

https://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/ ... reg+hughes
All the gear with no idea...
Braumeister 20L - NOW SOLD

Dave-Leeds

Post by Dave-Leeds » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:54 pm

Buy it chris. Its very well set out with loads of recipes in all grain and extract versions

think i paid about a tenner from amazon

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Post by Coffeeuk » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:57 am

I've just bought this book myself after reading this post. I must agree, it's really well set out and the recipes look really good, I can't wait to start trying a few. It even recommends the yeast to use which is a bonus. I'm gonna try the Irish red ale first, I've got everything except the correct yeast. Nice one Dave for posting about it.