Does anybody know about these tea urns

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Dave-Leeds

Re: Does anybody know about these tea urns

Post by Dave-Leeds » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:36 am

Cheers sickboyedd think i may invest in 1 once i get things up and running again

sickboyedd

Post by sickboyedd » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:22 am

Did my second brew in it yesterday, still working like a charm. It's worth getting something to lift the bag from the bottom of the kettle, got a little bit of scorching this time around. Should have been more diligent... Did a 90 minute mash at 66-7 and 90 minute boil with no problems though, hit OG and target volume no problem, and sparging was a doddle. I'll probably end up getting a mash tun in any case, but for BIAB it has been easy to work with so far.

I'd still be interested in knowing how long these things last, compared to a Burco. I suspect we won't be seeing many old ones on eBay in 10 years time, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong!

malhal

Post by malhal » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:48 pm

This boiler is the Qualtex MIS884 35L 2500W sold on ebay by LM Electrical, or 4YourHomeUK or ApplianceSparesWarehouse websites. All 3 are the same owner as Qualtex.

Just posting the model number so people can find this info on it when searching. There are other models too:

MIS882 9L 1500W
MIS883 20L 1500W

Here is some useful info from the manual:

BOIL-DRY PROTECTION
To prevent accident from boil-dry, the appliance is protected with a thermal limiter. If water in the tank is boiled dry, the limiter activates and the appliance turns itself off, although the lamp will remain on. If the thermal limiter is activated, there is a manual reset button located in the middle of the base bottom. Turn off unit. Let to cool. Press button to reset.

THERMALCUT-OUT
The heating element is fitted with a thermal cut-out,which protects the urn from damage when continuous misuse of the urn is allowed [boil dry, switchedon without water, or the appliance exterior has been accessible with water) the thermal cut-out will stop the appliance from working. Do not confuse thermal cut-out with boil-dry protection. Thermal cut-out in the appliance isa disposable part.

The manual also has a circuit diagram with a fuse icon but named FESR, and 125 and 92 degree switches.

malhal

Post by malhal » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:26 pm

[quote="Duncndisorderly"]I grabbed one of these from e bay and it looks solid but ill let you know if i hit similar problems once it arrives

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390855125285? ... 1423.l2649[/quote]

That one was £85, there is a new model that costs £149
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BEER-MASH ... 0855125285

Now includes:

double wall
false bottom ~£20
grain bag ~£10
digital temp display
extra half power setting
tap with joined elbowed hose barb

Probably is worth it over the old price for all these extras