Does anybody know about these tea urns

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
DeadFall
Under the Table

Re: Does anybody know about these tea urns

Post by DeadFall » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:30 pm

Yep, looks like the element is damaged. I turn it on, it lasts a few seconds and then I hear a pop followed by the fuse going in the main fuse box. oh well, time to order some new bits.
Let's all go home, pull on our gimp suits and enjoy life

Brewing chat on slack - http://thelocal.stamplayapp.com

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:19 pm

I bypassed the element by joining the wires together. I put some water in, a few seconds later there was a bang and the fuse blew on the ring I used. The tea-urn won't turn on and it looks like the element may be blown.
nothing to loose,wire the element direct to the mains,dont forget to earth the boiler body, no fuse nothing inline and give it a try as unless its a coincedence just bypassing the stat shouldnt cause the element to go
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

DeadFall
Under the Table

Post by DeadFall » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:52 pm

themadhippy wrote:
I bypassed the element by joining the wires together. I put some water in, a few seconds later there was a bang and the fuse blew on the ring I used. The tea-urn won't turn on and it looks like the element may be blown.
nothing to loose,wire the element direct to the mains,dont forget to earth the boiler body, no fuse nothing inline and give it a try as unless its a coincedence just bypassing the stat shouldnt cause the element to go
It looks dead. There's a black hole that was smoking in the thermal paste that was covering the element. I've just ordered a backer element. At this rate I should have just bought a 40l buffalo from nisbetts. :)

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:12 am

One solution to your boil problem is to boil less water. The tea urn I had didn't hold 23l! I always had to add a gallon or so of cold water at the end

big nizer

Post by big nizer » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:51 pm

Deadfall...I would be very careful buying a Buffalo boiler from Nisbits..as I had just tryed to buy a new element for my boiler...they are not longer made I got informed by email and words to the effect was that as you have had the boiler more than 1 year its tuff but you can buy a new boiler from us for £145....No thanks will just install a kettle element for £30

DeadFall
Under the Table

Post by DeadFall » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:56 pm

I have no plans to buy one. I have just installed a backer element (seems great quality, pity the plug broke so I can't test it). I wish I'd never bought this boiler now, just a 50L stock pot, the backer element and associated tools. I'd have more capacity and would have saved myself some cash. Live and learn.

FarmerFred

Post by FarmerFred » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:36 pm

Sorry Deadfall- I should have never posted that darn ebay link! I ended up going the FV boiler with tesco kettle elements for cheapness while I dip my toes in AG brewing

DeadFall
Under the Table

Post by DeadFall » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:48 pm

FarmerFred wrote:Sorry Deadfall- I should have never posted that darn ebay link! I ended up going the FV boiler with tesco kettle elements for cheapness while I dip my toes in AG brewing
I'd already seen them and made plans to buy one, nothing to do with you :) It's the old adage, buy cheap pay twice.

FarmerFred

Post by FarmerFred » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:49 pm

Ah well, we live and learn! These things have to be explored..

Duncndisorderly

Post by Duncndisorderly » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:42 am

I grabbed one of these from e bay and it looks solid but ill let you know if i hit similar problems once it arrives

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390855125285? ... 1423.l2649

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:35 pm

Duncndisorderly wrote:I grabbed one of these from e bay and it looks solid but ill let you know if i hit similar problems once it arrives

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390855125285? ... 1423.l2649
Funnily enough I just saw the same thing and was going to post a link.

Will be interested to see what you think.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

DeadFall
Under the Table

Post by DeadFall » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:09 pm

It looks similar to the ones in the original post, just a different top. Have they bypassed the thermostat?

Duncndisorderly

Post by Duncndisorderly » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:47 pm

Not sure, just arrived today but I wont be playing till next weekend so ill let you know

Dave-Leeds

Post by Dave-Leeds » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:46 pm

Hi guys

how do u rate this boiler?, thinking of getting 1 and would be nice of some feedback

cheers

sickboyedd

Post by sickboyedd » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:24 pm

I got one about a month ago, and have used it for one brew so far (maltmillers belgian blonde all grain kit, which I BIAB'd). So far so good, got up to boil pretty quickly and kept it rolling for the duration. Numbers on the dial don't mean much though, I'd recommend getting the thermometer out and making a note of what the actual temperatures are. It kept constant temperature pretty well for the mash itself.

Unit seems solid enough, but I guess time will tell how long it lasts. *If* it lasts then it's a nice piece of kit!