Hop Bag

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
parky

Hop Bag

Post by parky » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:40 am

Hi All,
Thinking about using a Hop Bag in my next BIAB boil,three questions,
1. What can I safely use to weight the bag down, <if I need to? >
2. Could I use my Grain bag, <or is a dedicated hop bag better.>
3. Is this method, as good as throwing the hops in loose.

Thanks,
Parky

alexlark
Under the Table

Re: Hop Bag

Post by alexlark » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:19 am

Hi Parky,

1. I don't think you need to weigh it down.
2. You could use your grain bag, although depending on its size it may be awkward.
3. This method is not as effective as throwing the hops in loose.

I now dry hop loose, the utilization of the hops is way higher!

When I syphon from the FV I use a very fine micron bag over the end of the syphon cane. This prevents hop particles from being transferred :wink:
Had the bag off ebay, it's about 30cm long.

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:52 am

I have tried this with a grain bag and in my opinion, the bag really affects hop utilisation. Once the hops break down they clog the fine mesh of the bag meaning the wort doesn't flow particularly freely through it. This also caused a boil over as the bag created a seal around the top of the boiler and once clogged, heat was trapped.

If you're still thinking of going down the hop bag route, get some hop socks.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:33 pm

I brought a hop sock, the only thing I do with it is, hang it on the side of the fv while I siphon the wort out of the kettle. It helps a bit in catching some of the bits,
But like the other replies, hop utilisation is retarded when stuffed in bag etc.

Dry hopping,, ummm, great way to add even more aroma, I brought some of those 3" tea balls ( strange as the bigger one s are cheaper than the smaller size) off ebay from China. I read somewhere, not to fill them more than a 1/3 as the hops swell and utilization is affected, so my two tea balls get used in a brew. By the way, I nearly half filled them, they floated around and did not sink..but the hop flavour was really bold from the beer in the cornie compared to the 3lts I had siphoned off/did not fit into the cornie.

So like I said above, as well as the other posts. Lose hops is the best, it's just how lose you like for the utilisation side and how much filtering you want to do.
To Busy To Add,

parky

Post by parky » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:15 pm

Thank You, aiexlark, Bigdave, and Wonkydonky, you all agree that it is best to throw the hops in loose, that's the way I will go.
Regards
Parky

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:33 pm

You'll also find that lose leaf hops help to fill the dead space in your boiler and create a natural filter which helps keep break material from transferring to the FV.