4ltr dead space

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Dave-Leeds

4ltr dead space

Post by Dave-Leeds » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:56 pm

Last time i did a biab in a new 32ltr boiler i have. it had a dead space of around 4 litres.

i was aiming for a 23 litre brew but ended up with 21 litre.is there any problem with tipping the boiler slightly(when nearly empty)

to gain that extra few litres or will this force all the dead protiens etc into the fermenter. Or will the beat option be to keep toping

Boiler up to around 27 litre mark with water held back from sparging

thanks

rpt
Hollow Legs

Re: 4ltr dead space

Post by rpt » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:12 pm

I always tip my boiler to help empty the last couple of litres. I do have a bazooka filter.

bigchris
Piss Artist

Post by bigchris » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:35 pm

I too always tip my boiler to get the most out. Usually end up with some murky liquid left in the boiler.

Dave-Leeds

Post by Dave-Leeds » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:17 pm

The pan i have is a brupaks with bazooka fitted so think ill try tip next time to gain that few extra litres.

do you guys stop when u reach your final volume or the wort looks very murky in the boiler

thanks

spanspoon

Post by spanspoon » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:49 pm

I too used to tip my boiler. Although I've just started using a solar pump to draw out almost every last drop! Works a treat!

Dave-Leeds

Post by Dave-Leeds » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:18 pm

Was looking at getting a solar pump for my set up.

do you twist the wires together if you have it on correct dc plug?,

and also do you have it connected to your tap

thanks

spanspoon

Post by spanspoon » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:29 pm

I bought the solar pump from eBay but got a transformer and hosing etc from here http://www.solarproject.co.uk/index.html

The transformer came with a terminal block to connect the wiring up and yeah I hook it up to the boiler tap. My dead space is 700ml.