small boil pot for 5 gallon batch possible?

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Krispy Krouton

small boil pot for 5 gallon batch possible?

Post by Krispy Krouton » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:12 am

Hi. My first crack at all grain in a muslin bag went well. The beer is the best I've brewed but I only brewed kits up until now. Something went wrong with the numbers though and although I managed to get the right O.G I ended up with only half the beer. For some reason 15 bottles instead of 30. Anyway I've got a boil pot that's 18 litres to the brim, I understand I can't use the full capacity of this but is there any way of using this pot to make a 23 litre batch? I was thinking of boiling the wort for the given time with the hops and tipping into the fermenter, and then boiling the sparge separately for a short while and adding that in. Or is it possible to make a strong small batch and top up the fermenter with water kinda like you would do with a kit? One way or another I've got this 18 litre pot and really want to make 23 litres. . if at all possible, wouldnt even mind if it took a bit longer. Got a free pressure barrel and have injector gas on order for it. Cheers thanks for reading :)

byronb

Re: small boil pot for 5 gallon batch possible?

Post by byronb » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:24 am

It can certainly take a while to get the numbers right, adjust for one thing and everything else seems to move :)

I think what you want is Maxi-BIAB. Basically boil a higher OG wort then liquor back (dilute) to achieve the desired volume and OG. http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?t=352

Krispy Krouton

Post by Krispy Krouton » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:34 am

Thanks for the quick reply byronb. Yeah something went wrong numerically, instead of scratching my head I'm drinking it and suddenly it don't matter :D you've mentioned maxi biab to me before, but I didn't mention the small brew pot. I will certainly check that link out. Cheers!

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:00 pm

For my first BIAB I got 21L out of my 19L pot by using the Maxi BIAB technique. My figures were not spot on either but I ended up with cracking beer at the desired OG and FG. Check out my thread here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=67731