Burnt elements - remedies?

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
injac
Hollow Legs

Burnt elements - remedies?

Post by injac » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:29 pm

On transferring my wort to the fv noticed the element has turned black. Reading online it seems a common problem and likely caused by loose grain sitting on it. How have people got rid of it and any recommended procedures to avert? Have just sprayed it with some kitchen spray for it to sit in overnight. Will I be able to rescue it or do I need to buy a new element?
In the FV:
NEIPA with Apollo/Vic Secret/Citra

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Burnt elements - remedies?

Post by Fil » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:46 am

im in a hard water area so much so if i dont scrub the elements back to shiny after a brew im likley to burn one out n kill it next brew.

citric acid, lemon juice and vinigar are all great at decrudding an element with an overnight soak
but next brew simply get a pan scrubbie and attack the element as soon as you have rinsed out the hop debris, if caught soon after the boil its a LOT softer and takes no time to get you a shiny as new element.

you can test the element, it should conduct well between the 2 power poles so a multimeter set to measure ohms will tell you. Black sounds bad, can u post a pic?
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:44 am

The remedies suggested so far as a proper cleaning regime are perfectly sound but something like this can need a little help. I had an element glow red when the boiler ran dry and blackened, this stuff was magic and is good for all shiny stuff as well.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

injac
Hollow Legs

Post by injac » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:24 am

Not my picture but this post on another forum has exactly what has happened to mine (top picture).

http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2437
In the FV:
NEIPA with Apollo/Vic Secret/Citra

andyCo

Post by andyCo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:34 pm

injac wrote:Not my picture but this post on another forum has exactly what has happened to mine (top picture).

http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2437
That looks like caramelized wort , I had a similar problem in my buffalo boiler when doing wheat heavy beers.
Soak overnight in citric acid and a good scrub should do the trick.
If not I used Kilrock kettle descaler at work .....I reckon that would shift it.

Andy