Sediment ??

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
coldfoot80

Sediment ??

Post by coldfoot80 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:41 pm

Ive recently finished a BIAB and its been sitting in the bottles for about a week now, when I checked it, it looks like its clearing up but there is quite a bit of sediment sitting at the bottom and when I turned a bottle upside down it all came flowing down to the neck.

When bottling the beer looked and smelt very good but Im a bit confused about the sediment, anybody had any similar problems or tips ?

Thanks

RobWalker

Re: Sediment ??

Post by RobWalker » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:21 pm

Sediment is entirely usual in bottle conditioned beer. If you want to reduce it, bottle your beer as clear as possible, but you just need to pour and avoid it.

Rivvo
Steady Drinker

Post by Rivvo » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:17 pm

I always cold crash before bottling either in a secondary or just in the primary, I bring it back up to room temperature before bottling and only usually end up with a slight sediment in the bottle, dependent on which yeast you're using it may disperse in the beer if disturbed although some stick to the bottom fairly well.

kentish man

Post by kentish man » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:04 pm

I have been doing BIAB for just over a year and I have done in excess of 40 brews in that time, I very rarely use protofloc or finnings and quite often my beer is cloudy , but then I am very prone to drinking them young. Recently on a return to the UK I had the pleasure of sampling some brews that I did using BIAB (no finnings ) six months ago, all of them where perfectly clear and bright, and the sediment had totally settled out. Patience is the key to really clear beer if you are not taking some form of advanced trub management or adding finnings. :whistle: