crap in wort

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Dave-Leeds

crap in wort

Post by Dave-Leeds » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:40 pm

Did a biab 2day and i have cubed the wort and the bottom part is full of grain maybe 2 to 3 litres worth.

i use a brupaks boiling pan with bazooka filter and can always see loads of crap coming out with the wort.

does any1 else have this problem? Or any ideas how to achive clearer wort?,

could it be the pre crushed grain i buy as the bag always looks like it has a fair bit of powder in

cheers

joe1002
Piss Artist

Re: crap in wort

Post by joe1002 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:50 pm

Are you sure it's grain, not just break material?

Dave-Leeds

Post by Dave-Leeds » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:53 pm

Probaly a bit of both mate but when i was filling cube up i could see bits of grian going in so i poured this back in boiler

joe1002
Piss Artist

Post by joe1002 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:08 am

How big are the bits? What grain bag are you using?

Dave-Leeds

Post by Dave-Leeds » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:32 am

Not overley big bits bit big enough to notice.i use the ritchies mash bag. Might double bag next time as i have 2 of them

joe1002
Piss Artist

Post by joe1002 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:22 am

I wouldn't expect any grain to get through. I leave my wort to settle for 10 or so mins after chilling to let everything settle out and form the filter bed. It comes out crystal clear. What filter do you have on your boiler?

Dave-Leeds

Post by Dave-Leeds » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:25 pm

Its the brupaks boiling pan with a bazooka screen. But i have made a dip tube from 10mm copper pipe(due to the large dead space)and slipped the dip tube over this. Maybe this could be the problem and i might try wrap some muslin cloth around the screen

Dave-Leeds

Post by Dave-Leeds » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:37 pm

Seems i was a bit harsh yesterday because i have transfered to fv today and it was pale golden colour and almost crystal clear.

I placed a sieve on top of fv and poured the wort through this and only a few bits of grain was in the cube and the rest was break material.

I had 17ltr at 1.60 so i diluted down to 1.052 at 21ltr.

is there any way to reduce break material?

windrider
Piss Artist

Post by windrider » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:55 pm

Trub going into the FV won't hurt and will settle given enough time. It even helps the yeast believe it or not.

Have you tried doing a whirlpool before transfering to the cube? Can help reduce the trub by settling it to the centre of the kettle then you can collect the wort from the edge. I personally wouldn't worry to much about it.

Dave-Leeds

Post by Dave-Leeds » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:41 pm

Yeah a did a whirlpool.going to have a look at my filter when i get chance. To be fair it dosnt look half s bad in the fv now

thanks guys

Charles1968

Post by Charles1968 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:13 pm

The Ritchie's bag I have has a very open weave on the bottom that let's a lot of stuff through. It doesn't matter very much though. Braumeisters let tons of crap through to the boil but still make great beer. One difference it does make is lower hop utilisation, so the beer isn't quite as bitter as it should be.

If you want clearer wort in the boil, you need to mash in a mash tun and drain slowly. Easy to make one with a cool box and bazooka filter. You just need the tap and connecting ring to screw tap to bazooka.

Dave-Leeds

Post by Dave-Leeds » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:45 pm

Was thinking about making a mash tun so i can mash a bigger grain bill and they boil as i do with biab if this would work.

think i still got a few bits left from the last time i made 1. maybe then i could go for bigger brews